Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan75023

Matching fabrics at seams

susan75023
12 years ago

Hi, I recently tried to match lengths of fabric for draperies and found fabric did not match at salvages. I then tried to match by moving one panel over onto the other until it matched but then would have to add seam allowance. The whole thing started to sound like a beating. Don't salvage edges usually match up at repeats in fabric? I don't have much hair left from pulling on it while attempting this project. Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (5)

• dowlinggram
    12 years ago

Fabric like wallpaper may not match exactly at the selvedges. It depends on the number of inches the pattern repeat is. When choosing a patterned fabric that you think you may have to join open up a length of the fabric and look at both selvedges and the pattern and see where you'd have to join them. If it's too complicated choose another fabric.

There is no quick fix for matching fabric. Either it has a pattern repeat that fits exactly on the width of the fabric or it doesn't. Personally on drapes I wouldn't have tried to match exactly but would have fudged it so it wasn't that noticable. As long as it looks good from a distance no one will notice because of the pleats

• susan75023
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I nearly went goofy one day trying to match fabric - I think I got so sick of it, I gave it to the Salvation Army. lol. I am not one of the most patient people, I guess.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

It's maddening isn't it? The pattern often doesn't match at the selvedges. The worst is drop repeats where it looks like it'll match but is off by a few inches or more.

For drapes I wouldn't worry either, the fullness will hide the mismatching and most likely only you will ever notice it, unless it's a pattern that looks goofy mismatched, ie plaid, nature scene, etc.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I had this issue using some very expensive home decor fabric. I bought a huge amount of it on sale (STILL EXPENSIVE) and thought I had enough to stash the extra away. But danged............it didn't match at the selvedges either and I had to go deeply into the next piece to get the exact match and had a lot of scrap left over I couldn't use and ended up having to rush back to the fabric shop and buy even more.

Mine were used in a lot of balloon valances, and they'are not deeply pleated, and the drapes were also lined. So I bit the bullet and just did it exactingly. But once burnt, twice shy. I will look at the match very closely the next time because it was a real frustrating job.

• susan75023
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Live and learn, I guess. It certainly does add to the yardage needed and what was going to be an economical solution, could have turned into a very expensive one. If I ever attempt drapes again, they will be a solid color. At 67, I no longer have the patience I once had. Thanks for your comments - happy sewing!