Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

The price quote is in; I'm firing up the sewing machine

caroline94535
14 years ago

I picked out the fabric for "simple, plain drapes" from a department store. I chose a linen-look cotton with a subtle embroidered design worked in sage thread.

The two pairs of drapes, sizes 58" x 85" and 74" x 85", were to be pinch-pleated and lined.

There was a great sale, 65% off, and an additional 10% off the lowered total. I told myself they simply couldn't be that expensive.

How naive can a world-traveling, 54-year-old USAF veteran be? Apparently, pretty darned naive! LOL

The quote came in today at $946.00 for each window. Yep, nearly $2,000.00 to (plainly) dress two small windows in a small, non-descript bedroom in a small, non-descript house.

It's not happening. If I had millions in the bank it would still not be happening. I was shocked. I've lived on various bases for decades. Moving around so much, I've always made simple window coverings. Some of them are still in the basement. I've never "shopped" for drapes.

So, friend and I are off in the morning to a fabric outlet to pick out a suitable fabric. I've ordered Singer's Window Treatments book, and I'll be picking everyone's mind and talents so I hopefully end up with sturdy workable panels to hang at the windows.

I want them to add a subtle color and texture to the room; I want them to block some of the cold from the bare glass, I want them to block the neighbors' views into my bedroom. I don't want their price to be a shameful embarrassment.

I'm just certain I can make these at a much lower cost. If not; I have some old wool army blankets; I can throw them over the rods and feel right at home. LOL (Not really!)

Comments (15)

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Good for you! It IS ridiculous what people want to charge for simple things these days. I'm a "simple-windows-are-best" kind of person and have made my own window treatments for years. In my previous house I had one large window in my bedroom which had simple white cotton muslin panels gathered on a simple white rod. In the middle of the rod I draped (as in folded over and pinned to hold it on) a piece of Battenburg lace - cost me all of $5. When I sold the house (3 weeks after listing) the buyers asked for me to leave the bedroom "window treatment!" No problem!

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Caroline...keep me supplied with doggy pictures and I'll help you all the way through!!
    I hope you find a great fabric...keep us posted!
    Jay

• evaf555
    14 years ago

While I can empathize with spending that kind of money on non-descript windows in a non-descript house, I feel dismayed at your shock at the price of custom work.

You are choosing the fabric and style of your curtains: not buying off the rack. As a professional seamstress, I find the attitude that custom work should "cost less than off-the-rack" more than a little frustrating.

I have done custom drapes before. I personally find the layout and measuring of long pieces tedious and time-consuming  not to say frustrating when one finds measurements ¼ inch off even after being so careful.

You can certainly buy the fabric cheaper and do the labor yourself, but my guess is you could go to that online vender which advertises with the big "O" and buy ready-made curtains even cheaper than you could make them. I would do that myself, I hate doing them so much, but I got several lined large drapes free on freecycle, and will be cutting them up to make curtains for a couple of our rooms.

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Evaf555,

I wouldn't be so stingy if it were a true custom job by professional seamstress. These are made-to-order drapes from a large department store. They're pinch-pleated panels with absolutly no frills. The fabric was plain cotton and the sizes are the same as some of their stock curtains, with costs 9 time higher, $100. vs. $900 for the same items. I had asked for 78" wide drapes, but sine 75" was the standard size I was happy to go with that.

I've been cruising FreeCycle and eBay. No luck yet; but I'll come up with something creative.

I wish you were nearby. I'd love to hire a professional if only to help me measure everything. And if we're off 1/4 of an inch, I'll still be just as happy. I just want something on these windows!

Jaybird...I can do bribes! Here's Harry's mother, and Sam's Great-great-great Grandmother, "BeeGee" (short for Bountiful Grace.) This was taken on her 10th birthday.

BeeGee lived with us for the last year of her life. It was a happy and loved-filled year. She's in Heaven now.

Here's Harry's baby picture. He's 7 now.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Caroline:

If you are going to make pinch pleats,you will find out just how much measuring and figuring go into making drapes. The price quoted by the store is about average for custom made drapes. The store has to pay a seamstress to make them too.

I did a little figuring and for your 75 inch curtains you will need 11 yards of 54 inch wide material. The prices for cotton drapery fabric runs anywhere from $15 on the cheap side to $30 or more per meter. You want them lined and drapery lining runs about $15 a meter. Add the drapery header and thread and you are getting into money already. Of course you could always go with dress fabric but it may not stand up to the sun beating in the window.

Unless you have sewn and know what you are doing, it is quite a job. I think I would advise you to go with ready made. You can buy liners separately. They have slots that go over the drapery hooks, or you could opt for a blind. There are certainly many different styles and materials used to make them these days

• clt3
    14 years ago

The Singer book is excellent and has a great chart for figuring pleats and spaces. I've made several sets of pinch pleats and never paid anywhere near $15/meter for lining. It's frequently half price at Joann's . Go for it. They're not really that hard.

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I truly appreciate everyone's input. This will be a learning experience for me.

OilPainter - Thank you for figuring the yardage; that was kind. I've been sketching it out, but I was waiting for the book to arrive before getting serious about planning the details.

I've sewn all my life but lately I mostly make quilts. I have a Bernina sewing machine and an old, (early '50s) heavy-duty Pfaff sewing machine. It was supposedly used for boat and car upholstery; it was from FreeCycle! I also have a new Pfaff serger so I should be ready, tool wise.

I've never made pleated drapes, but I have made lined and weighted, heavy cotton, rod-pocket curtains. I used the same set in three different base houses in three different states. They finally faded to the point of no return.

I also made three pairs of lined silky curtains for a friend. They were a pain in the pins! LOL The decorative "silk" slid around on the "silk" lining. It felt as if I were trying to sew soap bubbles together. I finished them, and they hang nicely, but "nevermore" on the silky stuff.

One lady suggested making a practice drape header with the pleats, lining, stiffener, etc., but keeping it very short to ensure I have the width and spacing correct before starting on the real fabric. If I decide to try the pleats, I'll go with the practice run first.

CLT3 - I went to Fargo yesterday to shop at the Mill Ends outlet and the large JoAnn's. The outlet had "Thermal Suede" drapery lining for $6 a yard. Do you know the brand name of a good, mid-range, lining?

JoAnn's had some lovely drapery material, but nothing that really inspired me.

These are not investment drapes. They will be a "fun" project to bring some insulation and color to the bedroom. I'm looking forward to learning a new "skill," the pleating process, but if it becomes a stress, I'll just make plain panels and hang them from clips.

I live in an isolated area of northern North Dakota. I don't work outside the home and I don't have children. Self-sufficient Hubby and the two hunting dogs don't mind me hiding in the sewing room for hours and days on end. If I stay too long, he brews a pot of tea and joins me in there!

I don't mind spending the time to make them, but I won't spend $1,000. to hang something on the window. That would make my Scottish blood boil! LOL

Please, keep the ideas coming. I've lurked here for so long; it's a great site to learn new techniques.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Ok Caroline.

I thought maybe you were a complete novice to sewing. If you are going ahead with it use my advice on how to make pinch pleats given in your other post.

I don't think a dry run would help. It's the measuring that takes the time when making pinch pleats, the rest is fairly simple. You have to make the distance between the pleats to accomidate the amount of material you have. A 3 finger pinch pleat will always take 3 inches, but between the pleats may be anything from 2 to 5 inches. Of course the closer the pleats are together the fuller the drapes.

I suggest if you have to join 2 pieces together use a french seam.

You might investigate sheets a good quality 250 or 300 thread count sheet will be as good any decorator fabric and you wouldn't have to sew 2 pieces together. A double flat sheet is 81"x96" a queen is 90"x102".

Of you are going to wash these sheets would be good for lining too. Most lining fabric is dry clean only.

If you want to practice then an old sheet is a good place to start

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

"trying to sew soap bubbles together" - wow what a great description! I've sewn fabrics together that felt just like that, but never knew how to describe it! You have a grand way with words!

Good luck on your project!

• evaf555
    14 years ago

Oh, whatever you do...or don't do, whatever other instructions you get...

cut the selvedge edges off your material before starting.

They don't look like they're puckering, but they will once you get done. Save them for stabilizing seams, tying up newspapers for recycling or books no longer needed to the library book sale. or for your tomato plants to climb.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Amen on Eva's last message!!! and thanks for the pictures...your dogs are such an interesting breed and so cute to look at. I keep your old "Here's Harry" pictures on my desktop slideshow...he is wonderful inspiration each day!
    If you run into problems, just yank my chain and I will be glad to help you out!
    J

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Teresa NC7...thank you for the kind words.

Evaf 555 "...for your tomato plants to climb..." What a hopeful though! It's up to 32 degrees today; I have about 4 feet of snow in the yard, and it's at least six weeks before the Purple Martins return. It will be the second week of May, or later, before I can set out tomato plants but even thinking about them makes me smile.

I will save those selvedges!

JayBird...Harry is so honored to know he's on your slide show. I'm in the process of finding more of his puppy photos, but for now, and for your view pleasure.

Harry is on the right. This was his first expedition into the world. I think he was about 4 weeks old here.

Harry, recovering from "that" surgery. He's stoned out of his happpy litte mind here.

• dawnp
    14 years ago

Hi Caroline,

I am a sewer and have made many drapes. I do it because I get satisfaction out of it and ,like you, I can't stand to pay big bucks for something I can sew. I can tell you that making drapes can be a tedious task - measuring the long length and getting everything exact. It will be a good learning experience for you, however

I 'm not sure if you've considered it but I wanted to suggest that you use pleater tape for your pinch pleats.

http://www.wrights.com/wrights/products/homedec/workroom/multipleater.htm

Just to give you another option -
    I responded to a poster on the home dec forum who is interested in making drapes as well that I found a workroom in PA that you can mail your fabric to and they will make the drapes for you for a very reasonable price. They have a website where you can get an estimate for drapes made with their silk fabric but you would have to call them for an estimate if you are providing the fabric. They include the lining and interlining(if you need it). I started having them make them for me because I could buy discount fabric wherever I like, ship it to them, and they do the work. I think you will find it to be much cheaper than the dept store estimate you got. For the price, I just found it worth it. Sewing full length lined drapes took me a lot of time. I still sew valances but gave up on the drapes.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Dec forum discussion

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dawn! Yes; I saw your comments on the Home Dec forum; I haunt that one too! I tried "searching" and read every drapery thread I found.

My neighbor also suggested the pleater tape; she's used it before. I'm going to consider it. I'm also contacting the PA workroom.

I have access to the base community center. I can put as many 4x8 banquet tables together as I need to lay out the fabric. As long as I come in the mornings and early afternoons; there's no charge.

I may do most of the marking and layout there. I have one 4x8 table in my sewing room to help with the home sewing.

I'm very fortunate to have so many people "helping." My neighbor will go with me to the community center for the measuring, marking, and cutting, too.

Now...I have to find a fabric I like!

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

As a military wife of many years, I applaud your decision. I have made drapes from way back. the hard part is the measuring. I used pinch pleat tape on my earliest efforts when I was a new bride and they moved around with us to a few houses. Things are even easier these days. Go for it and enjoy the end result.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz