Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_153

sewing forum

flower_153
10 years ago

I haven't been here for a couple of years. The forum seems so quiet...too quiet. What is everyone working on? Pillows and tote bags here.

Comments (14)

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

I just finished cushions for my husbands wood office chair in his study. Just have to tie off the threads.

Kathy

• donnar57
    9 years ago

I made a St Patrick's Day tie and green suspenders for my year-old grandson. For the tie, I used a pattern and instructions I found online. For the suspenders, I used two leftover pieces of 1" wide elastic, dyed green (leftover green Rit dye from another project), and added suspender clips (purchased with coupons from Joann's).

Donna

• dancingirl_gw
    9 years ago

What a handsome young man!! He looks very proud to be ''sportin' the green". Precious sweet face.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

I love the tie & green suspenders...so very cute!!

Recently, I have completed 3 projects. First, was a few accent pillows for the LR using Duralee velvet. Next, was pinched pleated drapery lined with blackout for a BR. Last, (& just finished today) are two baby blankets for soon to be born DGD.

Duralee Velvet - Color: Robin's Egg (a greenish blue)

When drapes are closed, the blackout lining helps block out the strong afternoon sun. Keeps the bedroom a little quieter (dampens the noise from neighbors lawn mowers, trucks, etc.), too.

Both of these blankets have print flannel on one side & a solid pink fleece fabric on the other side.

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

VERY nice work Lauri. It's great to see you are using one of the oldies but goodies to make them with. Looks like an old Singer, right? I have one 1926 and the other is 1922. Both still run well. I love the old machines. Heck, lets face it....I love ALL the machines. I had 8 plus one serger. You would be proud...I just gave one machine away to my daughter-in-laws niiece who loves to craft. She's 12. I hope it will lead to BIG things.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

Liddybuff - Yes, my sewing machine is a Singer Featherweight 221.
    It was likely made in the 1950's.

I have seen the Barbie clothes you have been working on...amazing! So detailed and so small. You are a very patient & talented person : )

It was so generous & kind of you to give a machine to your DIL's niece. A gift she will always cherish : )

• kiendu
    9 years ago

Just finished... baby shower gift.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

kiendu - That's a wonderful baby shower gift! Baby will love the patterns, contrast, and the texture. Well done!
    Which fabric did you use for the back?

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

Lauri, Thank you for your comment on the Barbies I'm doing. I am up to most challenges and believe me they were a challenge to start. Since then it has become rather a passion. I lie in bed dreaming up the style for the NEXT one. As for the niece of my daughter-in-law, she is a sweet girl and I would love to create the pleasure in her that sewing/crafting has given me. It has been a lifelong joy.

• donnar57
    9 years ago

Barbie doll clothes seem such a challenge! I admire anyone who has the patience for such tiny work, as I struggle with Cabbage Patch doll clothes which are a bit larger!

Working now on something a LOT bigger: Willy Wonka's vest, jacket and (eventually) his tie. We're mounting a production of Willy Wonka Jr at my school, and none of the moms seemed to be too interested in sewing Wonka's jacket, so I just added it to my pile. I cut out the vest and jacket yesterday, and started to sew the vest today. The jacket is a Simplicity costume pattern with huge lapels; the vest is a man's pattern that I've had since forever, and I think it's McCall's. (I think I bought the pattern years ago to make my husband a vest, and then never did.)

Donna

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

Willy Wonka sounds like fun Donna. I like most anything that is a little "out of the box". I especially enjoy doing OOAK items. It's also fun to design and make your own projects. That's part of why these Barbies have been fun. The lady I am making them for said "Just make anything you like for Barbie" That means she trusts my judgement and I get to use my "flare" the way I wish. That makes us both happy. ;c)
    I am including the most recent outfits I have finished.

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

Pretty in Pink and Pearls

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Liddy I said it b4 and i'll say it again,your work is amazing,you do the whole pkg ,jewelry etc..Looks like you crochet as well.Tfs
    kathi

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

Thank you Kathi. Yes I do crochet but this little coat is an openwork lt. wt. knit fabric. It does give you the illusion of crochet. The woman is coming today to pick up her doll clothes. I hope she enjoys them as much as I have.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm