Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

It's done! It's done!! It's done!!! It's done!!!!

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

*sigh* My first ever pattern sewing project! Finally done!

I'm calling her "40." Because the materials cost $40, it took (or felt like it took) 40 hours to make, and...most importantly...the whole reason I wanted to learn to sew has to do with a midlife crisis I am currently having because I just turned 40.

And now, presenting......

40!

(There was no one awake to take my picture for me.)

(Posed on my beloved 1955 stove, in front of which she will spend much of her time)

(The floor behind my chair, cause I just kept throwing trash over my shoulder.)

Wow, does my neck ever hurt from hunching over the machine to apply the necessary 6 yards of bias tape!

Critique/evaluation:

This took waaaaay longer than it needed to for reasons unrelated to the basic pattern. The apron is very big and boxy, so I tried to taper the sides for a more fitted look. This took a while to figure out, since I have never used a pattern before, much less altered one. I finally got it right, and tapered the sides (but didn't cut off the excess). The fit was definitely better, but now it was hard to slip on and off easily. So I removed all the stitching for the taper. I guess it is boxy for a reason.

Also contributing to the longness was the fiasco with the bias tape that had to be repressed and refolded.

Oh--and I ran out of rick rack after doing one pocket. So I went and bought more. I started sewing it on, and then realized it was a different size than I had before. So I had to remove the original rick rack, and reapply to both pockets.

Whew!

Nifty things: it is really cool how a few weeks ago, I had no control whatsoever over the pedal on my 1965 Singer. My stitches were wildly crooked and out of control. Curves were impossible. But now, I can control the speed, and my straight stitches are usually striaght. (Curves--not so much.) I was terrified of bias tape, and even something finicky like rick rack. But neither one seems very hard (especially the rick rack). The bias tape might even have been fun if it weren't for the @#$%^& refolding and pressing I had to do.

Bummer things: Shoulders and neck. The shoulders are too far apart (as I type this, they are sliding off), and the neck is too deep/low. (And I made the smallest size, despite the fact that I'm a pretty typical "medium.) But at least that isn't my fault, right? It is either Simplicity's fault, or my mothers (narrow shoulders being genetic).

Ok, I am so sore and tired! I guess I need to clean up all my scraps now. Oh--wait--I don't have time. Because I never did the dishes the entire day. Or put away the food that has been sitting on the counter for the past 8 (or more) hours. Etc. etc. etc.

Or maybe I will just go to bed!

A million thank you's to the kind folks who have advised me on this project. Hopefully, I'll be needing lots more advice on more projects!

:-)

francy

Comments (13)

• kathyg_in_mi
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Welcome to the world of sewing. Who cares what the house looks like!
    Your apron came out beautifully, you did a great job with it, we're all very proud of you!
    I taught my DDIL to make an apron last November and she picked out the same cupcake fabric, only in pink!
    Hugs, Kathy G in MI

• theturtlelady
    15 years ago

Oh, I want to post mine. How do I get a pic in here?

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Kathy! Those cupcakes just scream 'apron!' And now I'm craving cupcakes!

Turtle: to post pictures, you first need to have your pictures available on an online site. I use photobucket, which is super easy! You can register for free at photobucket.com. Then, upload your photos to your photobucket account (be sure to make them smaller. I made the mirror one half the size it was, and it still came out big.) I use iphoto, so first I have to export photos from iphoto into my pictures folder on my computer. Then, I can select them from photobucket. (I wonder if I can go directly from iphoto to photobucket...) Once they are there, you will see a bunch of links under your photo. Copy the one that says html. Then, simply paste that html link into the body of your post. Do a message preview. You should see your photos right in the body of the post.

Photobucket usually uploads pretty fast. But when I'm too excited to wait, I select all the photos I want to upload, and then I come to GW and start typing my post. Since I"m so long-winded, by the time my post is done, the pictures are available for me to paste into the post.

Let me know if you have trouble--sometmes my explanations turn to gibberish.

francy (who is drinking coffee in her apron covered pjamas)

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

I love your apron - excellent job. I think I need one of those now. : )

• nickybellasgranny
    15 years ago

Awesome. Now don't you feel good for learning to do something useful and money saving in this economy? Loved all the pictures (I make messes like that when I sew too, husband says you can track me by yarn and thread snippets).

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Congratulations! It's beautiful. Aren't you proud of yourself? Now you can make a fleece jacked for your son, just in time for spring! Just don't buy striped or plaid fleece, or you'll go nuts!

Sherry

• budster
    15 years ago

Ah francy, francy.....that's mighty fancy! LOL. I leave the computer for a while and come back and lord love me you finished your apron! I LOVE your pictures....seeing the project makes this forum so much fun. Your sewing area looks very very familar...like my own... threads and "snippits" all over the table, across the floor to the ironing board and back, never mind those I wear on my clothing when I sew. This apron makes me think you should grab some of those scraps, tie them loosely in your hair with a big knot to the front, don that apron and be standing at your lovely stove banging a wooden spoon in a pot when DH arrives home tonight....You could be standing there ala Lucy....saying things like "Now look Ethel, Ricky won't believe me for a minute it took all day to make this thing..... and no housework done. I've got some serious 'splaining to do!"...... If I lived closer I could be your friend Ethel....what a duo we'd make! Now apron one is done.....get on with your "cherry" project! No wait, first go and BUY MORE fabric......only look at the price this time. Budster.

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

Your apron looks wonderful,and an apron is a good first project.The next one will be easier.TFS
    Kathi

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

You did a great job!

I turned 40, 2 months ago and it's not bad at all! It does kinda freak me out that when my mother was my age I was 16. I don't have kids so that's how I stay eternally youthful. I get up every morning thinking it's 1989 and I am 20 yrs old, LOL.
    Susan

• Karen_sl
    15 years ago

Wow, good job.
    And aren't you proud of yourself!
    And its so cute too!
    Make some cupcakes to celebrate.
    My sons g-friend made a really cute apron a couple of weeks ago here.
    Its so good to see folks who want to sew.
    Whats next?
    They have cute patterns for kids too...maybe your son would like an apron...guys kinda.
    Karen L

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yes--my son very very much wants an apron now (he loves to cook). Anything I make for myself, he complains, "that's not fair!" I'm hurridly trying to finish knitting a pair of socks for him, because he was so envious when I made a pair for myself.

He probably wants rick rack too, because he says rick rack "is more cuter."

I took in the shoulders on the apron. Wrecks the look of the edging, but oh well. At least now the apron mostly stays on!

I'm not quite sure what I want to work on next. I have fabric for another apron, but I might not do this style, given the poor fit. On the other hand, I'd like to try it again, and see if I can shave the 40 hours of work down to, say, 30! Then there is my son's apron. And I'd like to make one for a friend.... But this is all competing with my other newish obsession--knitting. Ah, the midlife crisis. Next comes learning the guitar! Not really. But maybe someday...

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and encouragement!

francy (typing away in her apron)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Well done, francy! Your apron is adorable and I love the cupcake fabric. Thanks for listing the nifty and bummer parts of the project. I think that helps us to learn from each project when we are just beginning to sew.

Now....on to some capri pants for summer or pj bottoms or pillowcases or......

I am linking to one of my favorite sewing sites, Sewing Pattern Review. They have lots of classes and tutorials for beginners and experienced sewer alike, plus pattern reviews that help the next person figure out the pitfalls and problems with patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sewing Pattern Review site

• susie53_gw
    15 years ago

Very nice.... My grandaughters would love this print........

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County