Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hemming women's slacks

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 23:48

It seems like everytime I try to shorten my slacks that I end up with them not being right. I don't know just what I do wrong. Perhaps it has something to do with pinning in the hem and putting it in without basting. I must stretch it some wa y because I end up wirh sort of a pleat in it. . Would some of you give me a hint as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hemming women's slacks

The taper of pants also can cause problems

For flared pants you have to ease the excess material at the top so it's evenly distributed between the seams

For tapered pants you often have to open the side seam a bit to get enough slack to hem them.

o
RE: hemming women's slacks

Lazygardens is correct. Most likely it has to do with the taper in the legs. If the legs are tapered, try to make the hem allowance narrower as the wider the hem allowance, the greater the discrepancy you will have to deal with.

Depending on the material, you may find it easier to ease the hem in if you use a seam binding which can have some give in it....

Hemming without puckers for flared and tapered pants may be helpful for you.

Below contains a nice video on hand and machine hemming.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to sew a hem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here