Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonpat_gw

Has anyone sewn cloth diapers?

bostonpat_gw
14 years ago

I have a niece expecting twins due in June. She lives in South Africa where prices for a lot of things a ridiculously expensive, disposable diapers are out of the question!

I am thinking about making some prefolded diapers for her but wonder if it might just be cheaper in the long run to buy a gross here and ship them to her.

What do you think? How many would be a good supply to have on hand for 2 babies - a boy and a girl?

Thanks!

Pat

Comments (12)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I made diapers for my twin grandsons. I made the all in ones from windpro fleece(it's waterproof and breathable) with a suedecloth liner(soft and wicks moisture away into the soaker pads below) My DIL used them for night, but she had ones with PUL outers for daytime. These can be expensive at around $25 each, but you can get them cheaper if you shop around. My DIL sold hers(in very good shape with no stains) on line for half of what she paid for them.

If you want to go with the prefold include some diaper closers --much better than pins.

You will need about 2 dozen per child with a bare minimum of 13 because that's roughly how many diaper changes a day takes.

There are a lot of sites on line that gives detailed information on how to make diapers and how to fold and use them. I suggest you google "make your own diapers" and see just what's out there these days. I found it quite an education

• lizzie_350
    14 years ago

This a link to a web site with many free links to free diaper patterns. You may be able to find a pattern there that you will like. I hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Zany Zebra.com

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I guess I wasn't much help before. I just wanted you to see what's out there. The link below gives directions on making prefolds.

What you need for each diaper. 1/3--newborn 1/2 yard of material for toddler. Plus whatever you use for soakers in the center. A soaker can be any kind of absorbent material--hemp, microfleece or terry. When I was researching diapers there was one woman that used shop cloths for soaker pads. That was one reason I wanted you to do a search. These don't have to be large because they only go in the middle.

Under NO circumstances use the soaker material NEXT TO THE BABY'S BODY. The absorbancy will wick the baby's natural oils from the bany's skin.

Maybe you could get someone else to go in with you on the cost and/or sewing. Prefolds are not really difficult to sew

Here is a link that might be useful: instructions for making prefolds

• socks
    14 years ago

Amazing! You can find just about everything on the internet. I never even thought about making diapers! I bought them when my kids were little, the cloth ones.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I just don't see the point of making prefold diapers when you can get them for $14/dozen. You won't be able to make them for this price.

Here is a link that might be useful: diapers

• lucillle
    14 years ago

I am making something similar (not diapers, but cage liners for pet guinea pigs, using the same principal) and found a store that has supplies

Here is a link that might be useful: Wazoodle

• newkidd13
    14 years ago

offffffffffffff topic but where can i buy diaper pins
    i have searched everywhere
    thanks
    mir

• susanjn
    14 years ago

newkid,

If you want them to fasten diapers, the Snappi is safer and easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snappi

• newkidd13
    14 years ago

what will they think of next those snappies look neat
    but no i am 57 yr old grandmother now sewing clothes not diapers and i need the diaper pins for running my elastic they are so much stronger than safety pins you buy now days.
    thanks
    mir

• susanjn
    14 years ago

The Snappi probably won't work for that. :)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

newkid:
    I don't think you can buy diaper pins in stores anymore. I have seen them for sale on line, but I don't know the site. Do a google search and you may find them

• bostonpat_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've given up on making them - I found a place online that sells them quite reasonably and will ship them to her. I have 2 other neices who are making diaper covers for her but that to me seems like a lot of work, I also think that any elastic used would not last very long if washed in hot water and dried in a dryer. I also plan to send her some Snappis which you can't get over there!
    Thanks for your ideas, I do appreciate them!
    Pat