Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cool Costume Ideas?/ Newbie with Questions

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 22:34

Hi everyone,

I'm not new to sewing, but I'm not very good at it. I've done very little of it since my first pillow project in 8th grade. I have a machine, which hardly gets used except when mom makes curtains or "garment repairs" (loose threads, hems on pants, etc.) I cannot sew a straight line on machines and I always make uneven stitches when I hand sew (try at least). Pillows is about all I'm good at making. I'm more of a crocheter (lot of teasing of that in high school

Anyways, I saw this cool YouTube video about someone making
a really neat costume (the one they modeled it after is a real piece of work!) They state it was time consuming (8 months!) and was costly over a long period. Are there any neat Halloween that you've made that you're really proud of? I'll provide the link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9iFw7uZj6w

Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cool Costume Ideas?/ Newbie with Questions

No costume ideas, but I can help you sew a straight line. When you sew don't look at the needle. You have lines marked in fractions of an inch on the needle plate. Pick the one that you want the seam allowance to be, put the edge of the fabric on that line and sew your seam. You look at the edge of the fabric and that line and not at the needle. Keep the edge on that line and you will have a perfectly straight seam.

o

Thanks, oilpainter! So that's what I've been doing wrong! I'll have to remember that next time I sew something.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

You may also want to put a piece of colored tape on your machine at the seam allowance mark. It makes it alot easier to stay straight.

Good luck!

o

Hey Brad AKA Moonwolf,
I know you posted this a while back, but I'm new and just enjoying reading the past threads.
Here's a costume I did for a horseshow costume class in 2008. It didn't cost anywhere near $1000 (like Ursala did), but I was pretty proud of it. And we did win a blue ribbon!
--Amy AKA Clergychick

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here