Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I add a seam allowance to a European pattern?

Posted by amileyd (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 22:12

Hi, I know this should be so obvious to me.. I just bought a few Euro patterns and I have never sewn with these before. You have to add a seam allowance, because none are given. So, I was wondering how you do this. Do you trace the pattern and draw a seam allowance inside the existing lines, or use a seam tracer and add outside the existing lines?

Thank you! :0)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I add a seam allowance to a European pattern?

I would pin pattern as usual then cut 3/8's inch beyond pattern. You could go around pattern and put a dot for allowance then follow dots.

o

There is a special tool out there for allowing you to add the usual 5/8" seam allowance. I have just used a quilting ruler that shows an automatic increase of 1/2" and that worked. A friend uses a metal washer type of item that adds a seam allowance (you put your marker through a hole in the middle and as you trace around the pattern the marked line is at the proper cutting line. It seems to work for her. The washer thing is available in quilting stores that I know.

o

Thanks for the replies! I already traced and cut out the pattern, so I can't add seam allowances. I also cut out my fabrics already (without seam allowances) soo I am in a fix. Oh well, I will just sew it... It's a prototype using scrap fabric I was going to use to get a good fit on me. It's all a learning experience I guess... :)

o

Use a serger if you have one, and yes each item we make is a learning experience for us. I too have forgot about the seam allowance and lucky for me the article was big anyway. Another time I did a toddler jacket and just put inserts of co-ordinating fabric onto each piece to give me the seam allowance back.....turned out OK and was a play jacket anyway. Live and learn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here