Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Treadle VS Electric

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I already own a sewing machine (Brother) but I would love to learn to sew on a treadle. My grandmother has an old White Family Rotary(?) that she seldom uses anymore and she may give it to me! Has anybody switched their preference from electric to treadle? Is it easier to sew on a treadle?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (11)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I don't know why you'd ever want to trade in your electric machine to go back 75 years and sew exclusively on a treadle. With a treadle you not only have to watch what is happening on top but remember to keep your feet going back and forth too.

No it is not easier to sew on a treadle machine.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oilpainter,

I thought it would have been neat to try something new plus sewing on a treadle is not common anymore, I thought it would have been a neat skill to learn. I love my eletric machine, I just wanted to try something new.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I have a treadle sewing machine as well as electric ones. I like sewing on mine. I like the feel of the treadle beneath my feet. One year I made myself several tops using only my treadle sewing machine. I believe mine is a New Home in a nice old cabinet. I like the idea of having a choice, not just one way to sew.

Sue

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Hi moonwolf: yes, please try the treadle. I have both, but sometimes I just feel like using the treadle. I cannot express the feeling when using the treadle, as a child I sat in front of the treadle watching my mother and grandmother sew for me. Think it gives me great satisfaction that the tradition is being carried on. You will be very happy knowing this was your grandmothers. Let us know if you decide to try and what you think. Happy sewing.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I agree with hallngarden. And please do let us know how you like it.

Sue

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

I will let everyone know how I like it. I'm looking forward to it if and when I get the treadle. The cabinet it's in says White with the twig style letters. Did White make the family rotary in this particular cabinet? All I know about the machine is that my grandmother got it as an anniversary present years ago from my grandfather (he passed away in '08). She has used it for many years and it still runs. I will be proud if this machine is given to me as it will be used!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Moonwolf, if you have not ever used a treadle machine, have your Grandmother show you how to place your feet to treadle it, that might help you. Best of luck using it. That would be a great gift.

Sue

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sue,

I've seen her use it and when she used it, if I remember correctly, she had her right foot slightly ahead of her left. Her legs bother her and she doesn't sew much anymore unless it's buttons or something that needs done by hand.
    I saw people on YouTube use a treadle and they either used one foot or both feet.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• debs3
    14 years ago

My stepmother sent her White FR treadle (which was her mothers) to live with me until it goes to her neice. I used this machine for a high school summer sewing class in the late 60's. Everyone else was sewing on electric machines. The only thing I wished for at that time was reverse stitching, now I am sure I would also miss a zig-zag stitch. I remember enjoying the experience of using the treadle so much, and that is why I am lucky enough to have the machine with me now. It is a very strong machine, much more capable of sewing heavy items than my Bernina.

I hope your grandmother gives you her wonderful machine. You will still want to use your modern machine too.

Just remember, the handwheel rotates away from you on the White FR, instead of towards you like your Brother machine.

You may find this website interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.treadleon.net

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

debs, thank you for posting the treadle site. I am in my 70's and everyday I learn something from you folks. Plan to look around on the site you posted. Moonwolf, so glad you posted this thread, gather that you are younger than myself, and its exciting when young folk want to try something new. From the site that debs posted, if you have questions, that site would be a great site. You have inspired me to start a new quilt using my treadle machine. Granddaughter and I sew together, and think she will enjoy watching the treadle. She is only 2 but I make sure she has a part in helping me sew. To all of you posting, happy sewing.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debs, thanks for the website and the handwheel trick. I have visited it before and it is very informational!

Hallngarden, yes I am younger (I'll be 20 in March). I am happy to know that I've inspired someone! I hope your granddaughter takes up the art when she's a little older.

Brad AKA Moonwolf