Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonpat_gw

Rotary Cutters and Machine Oiling

bostonpat_gw
15 years ago

Hello-

I am getting back into sewing after a hiatus - I have inherited some of my late sister's fabric stash (man could she buy fabric!) and hope to start with some purses I want for the Spring.

My first question - what size rotary cutter do you recommend? I see Joann's has them on sale this week and right I now only want to get one - what size is best - 45 mm or 60 mm? How long do the blades last and can they be sharpened?

#2 - How often do you oil and grease your machines? I have a featherweight in fantastic condition that I just cleaned, oiled, and greased - it works like a charm! My other machine is a Singer 457 Stylist ( all metal gears!) that my BIL picked up at the dump - it was missing the slide plate which I replaced and I found a manual online. I oiled and greased the gears - this too runs like a top.

How often do you oil and grease and what type of grease/lubricant do you? If you couldn't get the Singer Lubricant - what would you use?

Thanks!

Pat

Comments (7)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I use regular sewing machine oil and Singer lube. Any high quality, clear oil is fine. Tri-flow is getting rave reviews and I think that they carry a gear lube, too. In a pinch, petroleum jelly will work as a gear lube. You should de-lint your machine every few hours and oil every couple of weeks if you are using it daily for 4-8 hours a day. Once a month is probably enough if you only use it on weekends, or for an hour or two in the evenings.

• gram999
    15 years ago

I've used the 45 mm rotary cutter for years. If you're not quilting & cutting through several layers of fabric, that should do you just fine. I've never kept track of how long they stay sharp, but for me, a long, long time. Now you can buy sharpeners for the blades. I think they're about $25. When a blade gets dull, I save it for paper. It's handy having more than one.

I recommend the Olfa 45 mm roaty cutter that switches easily for cutting left or right handed. I don't see a model number on it, but there are two slider things on the front that you slide for which hand you want to cut with. The blade is easy to change too. You slide a tab & the blade falls out.

How nice to inherit a fabric stash & free machine from the dump no less! Happy sewing.

• bostonpat_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses! The machine oil is easy to find - the Singer Lubricant is proving more difficult. I don't have a car and the fabric shops in town have dwindled to a few and they don't carry lubricant. I have read reviews about Tri-flow and will check that out.

My sister's fabric stash was something to behold. It was the epitomy of SABLE. My "inheritance" alone represents hundreds of dollars (probably more!) of beautiful fabric. My family gave away much more than we kept and I hope to put it to good use.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

If you can't find actual sewing machine gear lube, talk to a bicycle shop and see if they can recommend anything.

I get it at Walmart, but we still have a good sewing section at ours.

• gram999
    15 years ago

You're welcome. Below is a link where you can order the gear lube. I've never ordered from there before.

You mentioned JoAnn's. Did you know you can use Michael's & Hobby Lobby coupons there too? When they have those special times where you have a coupon for 10% off your total order, they don't give you that on anything you buy with a coupon. They consider that doubling the coupon, but that's OK.

I'm having fabric envy. How wonderful. We'll be looking forward to seeing your projects.

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer Lubricant

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

I just bought a new rotary cutter and I bought it at Hancocks fabrics it was an Olfa 45 on sale.. came with a blade and I bought another blade with a scalloped edge on it.. make sure you have a cutting mat to use you rotary cutter on.. they are a little pricy..but well worth it .. rotary cutters do not work well on any other items. try not to use it on paper other than a pattern.. same for you scissors.. Good luck and have fun.. sounds like you have some wonderful fabric.. ENjoy.. Here is the edge of the fabric where I used the scalloped edge on it. and you can use it for right or left handed folks

Huggy

• budster
    15 years ago

Lucky you, enjoy your adventure. Follow the above advice, it is the same as what I would offer. Budster - who loves your story about your Singer 457.....what a rescue!