Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Taking it up a couple of notches

rosefolly
13 years ago

I've been a competent intermediate level sewer for several years now. I take classes now and then at a local community college: draping, fit, pattern grading, tailoring, the like. But I am still pretty much unsatisfied with my performance. I want to make wonderful clothes, not merely adequate ones.

After some thought, I've decided that I am willing to travel to take classes from exceptional teachers. I'm looking at Susan Khalje's classes, Linda Maynard's classes, and possibly Claire Schaeffer, who I understand offers a yearly class in Palm Springs. Has anyone taken some of these classes? Can you recommend these or other couture-level sewing teachers?

Please share your experiences and recommendations with me.

Rosefolly

Comments (8)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

"I am still pretty much unsatisfied with my performance. I want to make wonderful clothes, not merely adequate ones."

What part of your "performance" are you not satisfied with?

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd really like to be sewing at the couture level. I'm not. My recent garments don't look home made, but they don't have the level of polish I would like.

My goal is to sew clothes I cannot afford to buy.

;-)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

The key to the "hand-made in Paris" look on the outside is a lot of hand detailing, seam basting, lining, interlining, interfacing, hand finishing seams, and meticulous pressing at every stage of construction on the inside.

If you don't have it, find a copy of the 1970s Vogue Sewing Book. It shows how to do things like graded seams, rolled collar seams, rolled hems, floating linings, corded buttonholes, and all the other expen$ive detailing.

And sew a lot of clothes. My SIL was a couture-level seamstress, and she made 2 or 3 items a week. She learned from her mom, who had learned in Paris from her landlady who had been a seamstress for one of the smaller design houses.

When I want to make a couture-level item, I make a couple of them in less expensive fabrics of the same weight before making the real thing. That way I have the fit perfected and the bugs worked out of the construction process.

• cocontom
    13 years ago

Patternreview.com has reviews of sewing classes, as well as patterns (and machines and stores and everything else for garment sewing). I didn't find a ton when searching on "couture" in the class reviews, but you could try by name.

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, that is an excellent suggestion and I will follow up.

• debs3
    13 years ago

Check out Kenneth King.

I took a wonderful moulage class from him years ago at our community college. He is a multitalented expert as well as an excellent teacher. He generously shares his knowledge. He wants you to understand and learn. I think he is great.

At your level of sewing I think you would really appreciate what he has to offer.

I have his "Designer Techniques" book. His instructions and illustrations are thorough and clear.

Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenneth King

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Several years ago, I attended a presentation given by Claire Schaeffer and I thought it was fantastic.

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deb3, thanks. I actually have taken a couple of classes from Kenneth D. King. I took them a bit early in my sewing education and with weaker skills only got part of the benefit I would get now, I think. Nonetheless, the classes were inspirational. (I think it possible that you may live near me. He's in NY now, but for many years taught near SF.)

Soonergrandmom, thanks also. I have the idea that Claire Schaeffer must be a wonderful teacher, and I hope to take a class with her someday.

Rosefolly

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer