Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

New to Sewing

dee_can1
15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My first post in this particular forum. I took the plunge, and bought myself a sewing machine (Kenmore). I haven't sewed since home ec. class, about 30 + years ago, so I really don't have a clue what I'm doing. But, I'm looking through some of the posts here, for some tips.

I went to the Fabric Store today, and noticed that their Beginner's Sewing Class is just coming to an end, so I missed it. And they may not be offering another class until fall... So, in the meantime, I bought some fabric to make a tote bag (the pattern came with the sewing machine). I was pretty embarassed when I brought the skimpiest material to the counter, and was nicely told that I needed something more substantial for a bag. Oops. So, I picked up some denim.

I have a couple of questions - do you use the pattern, itself, or do you trace it on paper? The dvd shows them tracing it, so I guess if I don't want to cut up the original, that's a good idea? Is it ok to cut up the original?

What tools do you recommend, that would come in handy, for sewing in general? I bought three spools of thread, a pkg of varying sizes of needles, already. I was looking at the dvd instructions for making the tote bag, and it seems a rotary cutter would be very nice (compared to ordinary scissors) - do you recommend them? And, would I need a 'pad' for underneath the material to use the rotary cutter? Any other tools you recommend to get started?

I feel a little over my head. I haven't even attempted to thread the machine yet. lol I'd appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• susie53_gw
    15 years ago

Just take your time. Alot of it will come back to you. It is a personal choice as to wether you cut the orginial pattern or trace it. Sometimes I take the pattern to a copy machine and make a copy for myself. It depends on how many times I think I will use the pattern.

I don't use a rotary cutter but know people you really like using them. I bought one of the round magnetic things that holds pins. It is so nice if I drop one I can pick it up so easy.

Your bag should be fairly easy for your first project.. If you have anymore questions just come on back and ask.. I have had a Kenmore for many years and love it.. Good machines...

Susie

• msmarion
    15 years ago

Welcome back to a rewarding hobby. I'd suggest a good sewing book. My all time fav~Readers Digest sewing book, mine is 30+ years old and I believe its been updated. I'd buy a quality pair of scissors first and maybe a rotary cutter and mat later on. You will also need a tape measure and pins, I love glass heads. Some of the supplies you will need depends on what you will be sewing, garments or home dec. One of my most favorite tools is a 6" ruler with a slide adjustment.
    Good luck. Remember the gals at your favorite fabric store will love to help. Just go in at a slow time of day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruler link

• budster
    15 years ago

Treat yourself every week or so to another little sewing goodie if your budget is tight. The sewing book Msmarion talks about is an excellent resource to have -- look in your local thrift stores for a second hand copy...styles change but the basic information stays the same! One of my first suggestions is dare I say it "seam ripper", we all make mistakes, no getting around it and a ripper can be your best friend sometimes. Another favorite tool....OK, you can't purchase it ....... patience. Take your time, have fun. Nothing has to be perfect at this stage. Welcome to a new hobby and be prepared, this journey never ends.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Susie, MsMarion, and budster. : )

susie, I had to chuckle when you said it will all come back to me. I remember when we had to make a piece of clothing in home ec, and I ended up getting my neighbour to sew most of it for me. Ah, those were the days... I'm glad you you've had good luck with your Kenmore.

msmarion, I'll check out the library for sewing books. I'm heading over this morning to talk to the people at the fabric store again.

budster, I was thinking about getting a seam ripper, actually. I want to do hemming, so I think it would a good tool to have. I'll work on the patience - I think I should be ok in that department.

So, I think what I'll look for is some good scissors, a ruler, and seam ripper today. 'If' I get the tote bag done eventually; I might post a photo of it. Depending on whether it looks like a tote bag, or not. lol Thanks again.

• noinwi
    15 years ago

Don't forget extra bobbins! It's a real pain when you have to dig around for the one with the least amount of thread so you can unravel it to use with a different color!

• jenb1972
    15 years ago

Hi, I just started a blog geared towards beginners...maybe some posts can help you out! Don't give up - it's so much fun, and very rewarding. Good luck!
    http://sewplicity.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Sewplicity

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip, noinwi. Are bobbins all the same? ie. one size fits all? (See, I wasn't kidding about being a beginner...) : )

jenb, I'll check out your blog - thanks!

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

Hi Dee, I'm a beginner too!

Bobbins are machine specific. So you need to see which "model" your machine takes.

One tool I use constantly is a very small, very sharp pair of scissors. I use it all the time for snipping threads, and somtimes in place of my seam ripper.

:-)

francy

• sheesh
    15 years ago

You cannot get along without a seam ripper, no matter how long or how much you sew! I'm not much of a cusser, but boy, can I get going when I make a sewing mistake. And I do it often enough that it's embarassing! And that's after 35 years of garment sewing, so don't give up, and don't expect everything to go smoothly.

I'm tickled to see you and Francy and all new sewers enter the fray! Welcome!

Sherry

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

francy, thanks for explaining about the bobbins. I picked up some today. Actually, I picked up the wrong ones, and the woman at the fabric store explained the difference.

And Sherry, thanks for the welcome. I've been stocking up on sewing stuff... I've got a new basket, and it's almost full now - lol.

I started the tote bag today. Prior to today, I had to practice sewing a straight line. : D The first few times I ended up with bunches of tangled thread (and the bobbin case got all jammed up) - not really getting the tension techniques, yet; but I did manage a straight and zigzag stitch.

So, I cut out the pattern pieces today. Whew - I'm exhausted. ha, ha I would have gone even farther; but I can't figure out how to put the markings from the pattern onto the fabric. I've googled several sites, but I'm not picturing it. How do you guys do it? Tracing wheel, and some sort of paper?

• budster
    15 years ago

Hello and welcome to the site. As for transfering your markings, some of us use tailor's chalk, others do an old fashioned "tailor Tack" method, and the tracing wheel and paper are also an option. If you can't get the hang of it, ask how to use the items at the same store you got the bobbins from or wherever you are purchasing them. I use the old fashioned "Tailor Tack" method alot.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, budster. That's what I was thinking of doing - asking at the Fabric Store. I did buy a couple of dressmaker's pens/pencils - just gotta figure out what to do with it!