Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deja_gw

fabric flowers

deja
17 years ago

looking for instructions for making fabric flowers can anyone help?

Comments (6)

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

Knowing where, what and how you'll use them would have a lot to do with how to make them.

I've made them from satin, velvet solid & print fabric for lapel pins, pillows, bridal dress & book embellishments.
    A friend used lambskin to add to exquisite belts she sold to entertainers.
    Suzi

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I've made them from cottons,polyesters,and wire.Like the other poster said,it helps to know what they'll be used for.
    Kathi

• josnail
    17 years ago

I fuse several layers of fabric, using Stitch witchery or fusible web. You can take these from an alterned hem.

I cut out the shape of a flower with 3 or 6 petals and then take a small pleat at the base to give it dimention. Use graduated sizes and layer them together.

Go visit and rate my website: squidoo.com/SewItSeams/

• pumkingal
    17 years ago

Hello, I taught a whole class on these flowers, it was the mothers at head start years ago;
    Materials;
    sharp small scissors
    cotton fabric-small floral print-or solids
    white glue
    tooth pick
    10 gage green floral wire-(for stem) thicker if you want
    cloth wire-comes in colors, contrast it to your fabric
    plastic lid any size-to put your glue in, (when it is poured into the lid it thickens better)
    different size bottles of elmer's glue- you use these to wrap your cloth wire around to make the petals for your flowers, finger nail polish bottles for leaves works well.
    green sticky floral tape
    1. choose your choice of flower ( I made 5-6 petal ones)
    2. iron your fabric,put some glue into your lid
    3. choose what size bottle of glue you want for your petals, I made red satin poinsetta's, with green flat velvet leaves,ex. I used big bottle for my petals, and the smallest glue bottle for little leaves.
    4. need staymens- the middle of flowers-you buy these
    A.wrap the cloth wire around the glue bottle, and twist at end 3 times so secure, leave an inch tail cut off with old sissors, due to it's wire, bend the tail up, make as many petals as you can place out on your fabric, leave little space inbetween them due to you have to cut around them later.
    B. now you have your petals ready for the glueing, dip your toothpick into your lid of glue, out line the bottom of your leaf and blow a little to help drying, then place it on your fabric, holding it down into place some times it pops up, (be patient)I do all my flower petals first then my other color for my leaves, they should dry in about an hour or so, when the glue is clear they are done.
    C. cut them out with little sharp sissors, cutting as close as you can to the cloth wire, then take your tooth pick with glue on it and fix the parts that didn't take.
    D. take your staymen, hold it right up to your main wire(10 gage or better) and your green floral tape and twist and wrap all the way down the wire, then tear off.
    E. add one petal, wrap the tail with your floral tape tear off, add another peatal, and keep adding till you have as many petals as desired, then wrap the floral tape all the way down the stem again for strength, now add your leaves.
    These are really fun and fast to make, I have made many, they go great in dried floral arrangements, it is an old craft but still a good one, the ladies I taught this too still make them, good luck

• gertrudetsau
    15 years ago

Hi,deja: There is a book "Step by step instructiion of how to make fabric flowers, flower float applique"by gertrude Tsau.
    Hope this book can help you.

• clothndolls
    15 years ago

Indonesian fabric is just scattered with flowers in brilliant colors. For religious reasons, they aren't allowed to depict anything but flowers in their batik. The link below is a great place to view their work. Both present and antique.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.sewcloth.com