Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie2_gw

sewers with MS

lizzie2
15 years ago

Does anyone else have MS and like to sew? I have lost my desire to sew right now (long story) and my DH got me a Designer machine that does not require me to use my feet! Can anyone help me find the desire to sew again? Just tell me why you enjoy sewing. Thanks,

Comments (6)

• lamalu
    15 years ago

Hello, sorry to hear of your illness. I don't have MS, I have polymiositis, an inflammatory muscle disease that causes muscle weakness. I sew because it is one of the things I can still do, and I really like to make stuff. Here is how I look at it - if I can't do x then how about y or z. I miss some of the things I used to do but I try not to think about it. I try to focus on the positives - I have learned how to bake bread, can vegetables, crochet, weave.
    I hope you can find your way back to a desire to sew again.
    Best Wishes.

• noinwi
    15 years ago

Lamalu,
    I don't have MS either, but I have had Fibromyalgia for 20+ yrs, to the point of being disabled(have arthritis too). I can't maintain any extended activity, just a spurt here and a spurt there. I used to sew quite a lot, but now I have a hard time motivating myself(just when I would like to sew for my grandkids). I have found doing little projects help get me started...patching jeans, hemming a curtain...things like that help to start me on other projects that might take longer. I'm about to make some doll clothes for one of my granddaughters that I've been putting off for a while. I recently made a slip cover for a bar stool(took about an hour)and that gave me the itch again. It also helps if you have a place where you can leave your project out so you can sew a little bit at a time. When I have to put everything away undone, it's 'out of sight...out of mind', and it never gets finished.
    I can't imagine what you must be going through with your illness, but I hope this has helped some.

• lamalu
    15 years ago

Noinwi,
    Excellent points, pacing oneself is key as is setting manageable goals so you don't get discouraged. My bf is a real source of inspiration to me so I made a little sign like those bumber stickers, WWJD, except mine is WW[bf's name]D. When I want to quit I look at it and get the strength to keep going - just 5 more minutes - or one more row, whatever I happen to be doing.
    Corny it is but I also think of that Nike slogan - Just do it. There is alot of truth to that.

• puzzlefan
    15 years ago

MS covers a lot of area in symptoms. Depression can alter your wish to do anything but if you did it before the diagnosis, just do it (starting small) and see what happens. My daughter has MS and truly was depressed at first. Now despite the disease, she serves a a nurse volunteer in Palestine under very difficult conditions. You can do what you set out to do if you are determined. ALthough my daughter was given some medicines for depression at first, she found them unsatisfactory. Walking was a great help to her.

• malapert
    15 years ago

I have MS and while I'm usually too tired, I do like to sew - it helps calm my stress and give me a little focus. So while bending over the sewing machine and ironing board can make me sore, I do it in small increments. MS can stop us from doing so many things because of pain or tiredness...looking at a completed project makes me feel like I've actually accomplished something. So, there's your inspiration - it'll feel good to have something finished. ;) Pick a "good" day and do a small project. I bet it'll put a smile on your face. ;)

Laurie

• lizzie2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all. I started taking the computer classes for the embroidery part of the machine and although it takes me forever to understand it, my DH printed off the online manual and with going to class; I am getting it slowly. It means alot to be able to talk to someone that understands. Thanks. Lizzie

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths