Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

How to use an online pattern (because it is teeny tiny)?

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm gearing up to attempt my first ever sewing project from a pattern. It is for a retro, smock apron. I found a free "pattern" online. But it is just a teeny picture on my computer screen. How do I make it bigger, bigger, bigger?

I have one of those jumbo, cardboard, foldout, measuring boards. What next?

Maybe I need a refresher in high school geometry? I see that the apron is 40" across. Ok. But how to I get the angled side cuts at the correct angle? does that make sense? How do I get the curves of the sleeves and neck to be the correct "arch"? Or, once I "plot" it, will the angles and curves just follow naturally once the basic measurements are laid out?

(Perhaps this isn't the best choice for my first pattern project? But I've been wanting some aprons like this for a loooong time.)

Link to the pattern is below. If you scroll down the page, you will see it.

Thank you!!

:-)

francy

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro smock apron

Comments (6)

• budster
    15 years ago

Francy IMHO, I would go and purchase a commercial pattern. You will be doing that someday anyway so why not take the plunge now? There are many retro patterns available.....another good source is a thrift store, I've had good luck in buying and finding complete unused patterns and others used but no missing pieces. I would purchase a new pattern and start from there. Joanne's and other places have sales so go and see what pattern company is on sale and if they have a pattern close to what you want. This is only MHO, but you will have good clear instructions to work from, if you get stuck you can take your article back to the store and ask a salesclerk for assistance (at least where I live you can!). It is up to you but you might be spending more money trying to create this pattern on a photocopier than the cost of a new pattern (which with luck will have a couple other styles you might like to try another time). Good luck

• evaf555
    15 years ago

Even for something as simple as an apron, a poorly calculated angle will render it unusable. This isn't a scale drawing that is meant to be enlarged. It's someone's blog. As well-intended as it is, a lot of free patterns are worth about what you pay for them. Check out the thrift stores, fabric stores, maybe even Freecycle if you have one nearby to get a commercial pattern.

• bayareafrancy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh phooey!

I was thinking that I could plot the basic horizontals and verticals, and then connect the dots, so to speak, to get the slants and arches. But, as you say, "poorly calculated angle" sounds like the result! Hmmmmm. What would happen if I got the precise shape wrong? Would it pooch out and pucker, and stuff like that?

As simple as the apron is, I haven't been able to find a pattern for one. I have been searching for so long for a smock apron with sleeve holes, and no ties. Ok, to be fair, I haven't gone to an actual store and looked at patterns. I've only checked books, and ebay.

A related question: my "dream apron" used bias tape. Which sounds difficult to me. Is applying bias tape a beginner, intermediate, or advanced sewing skill? I was just going to make the apron 2 sided, so I can wear it longer.

Beverly's has the cutest cupcake fabric....

:-)

francy

• bonnie-w
    15 years ago

Hi: Try looking on line at the pattern companies. Like Simplicity, McCalls or Butterick. I'm sure you will find something you like.

Bonnie

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

bayareafancy check out Hancocks or Joanns sometimes they have their patterns on sale 50% off.. which is a good buy.
    I never have had any luck trying to enlarge a pattern off the internet.. not unless it is something really simple and just something kind of small..
    and google bias tape on Google and see if they come up with some good directions.. kind of hard to explain.
    Huggy

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

I recently made an apron using bias seam tape and found good instructions on YouTube. Actually, there were two videos, and each did it differently in terms of which side was sewed to the fabric and which was top-sewn.