Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top bottom problem

Posted by arizonarose (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 15:18

First off, I can't sew a stitch and don't have a sewing machine. That said, my problem is with a top I just purchaced. It's very nice excewpt the bottom of it is rolling up if you know what I mean. It's cut on the salvage of the fabric ( no hem ) and it rolls up all the way around when I wear it.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I thought maybe some sort of iron on bias tape? The bad thing is, I bought TWO of these ( in different colors ) because I thought they were so cute and on clearance. Now I see why they were on clearance..lol!

Recently I hemmed a pair of jeans with that iron on hem stuff and when I washed them part of it came off and just left a sticky mess on the denim. Those jeans are pretty much ruined because I cut them off.

Hope to hear from someone as to what I can do to fix these tops.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top bottom problem

First off, because of the way some fabrics will roll up naturally I wonder how to fix your problem. The only thing I might try is a heavy weight lace or bead fringe around the bottom if that doesn't take much away from the total look of the top....the weight might prevent the rolling up. As for your jeans, hem them as best you can after removing the sticky mess....I've seen what a disaster it makes after a non-sewing uncle shortened his dress pants...try ice cubes and peeling back the glue...it might work. If nothing else don't hem the pants......leave the bottom as just fringe and wear around the house....no one will see and who will care. That is my best advice.

o

The lace or beads sound like a great idea. I will look in the craft dept and see what I can come I up. I think the beads is really the neatest idea and would look nice with these tops. I can hand sew good enough to manage that.

Thanks so much! I can't wait to go looking for them :-)

o
RE: Top bottom problem - beads..

A thought, make sure you can wash the top - I'm thinking I'd do a quick hand wash after you put the beads on. Some beads don't look great after they are wet too often. When you purchase the beads ask the salesclerk about washing how to's. Sometimes the way the fabric is cut can cause the rolling pin look ...... you have to deal with a solution as best you can. As a non-sewer I wouldn't advise trying to add some other fabric along the bottom to get rid of some of the curl - as a sewer I have done this but maybe you can get a sewing pal to add just a bit extra co-ordinating type fabric to the bottom. Just another solution to think about.

o

Since it's cotton I think I'll wash it first. I still like the idea of the beads the best. Or...maybe a fringe of some sort. I'll have to look & see what's out there. Hopefully I can find a solution. I don't have a sewing pal right now.

Thanks again :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here