Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of sewing machine to buy?

Posted by n2bach1 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 13:32

I am just an average sewer. I don't do a lot of sewing but would like to be able to hem slacks, skirts, and possibly make simple valances My current sewing machine is very old and basically does straight stitch and zig zag. I would like to get a newer one, but not with all the bells and whistles. I would at like it to make button holes, not the kind where you have to put on the zig-zag stitch and very carefully mark the buttonhole to make. That's what I have now and seems like there should be an easier one, but yet without all of the extra stuff like embroiderying, etc.
And also, without a huge price tag!!! thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of sewing machine to buy?

You didn't say if your present machine is broken or not. I'm hearing that it basically does everything you want it to do except buttonholes. If that's the case, do a search for buttonhole attachments for your machines' make and model. They attach to your machine in the place of a presser foot and have varying size cams to make the size buttonhole you want. Unless, of course, you just want to spend the money on a new one.

o
RE: What kind of sewing machine to buy?

Thank you Pris,
That is a good idea and I'll look into it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here