Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back of formal dress

Posted by twerkema (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 12:25

I've been googling up a storm to try and find out what the back panel of a long formal gown is called and all I came up with is "godet" or "back panel." So, my first question is, does this piece have a special name?

Second, I'm placing in a panel into a mermaid shaped gown. It is long and will train on the floor for a few inches. I've seen dresses in stores doing this a variety of ways but can't find good instructions for this. For example, some appear over the seam, some under the seam, some are gathered, some aren't. Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back of formal dress

Do you mean like this?
I think it is called a godet.

o

If you look at the pattern linked below, it looks like they seam the back of the dress and then add the godets as triangular shaped pieces of fabric that gets sewn into the seam for the added fullness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dress with Godets pattern

o

So sorry for the delay! I kept waiting for an email that i received a reply but never got one so I didn't check the forum.

That dress (red one) is exactly what I mean. In the photo you posted, it looks like it's pinched or something above the surround material. I'm not sure the best method to do that to make sure the train falls above the material and not below.

Also, any idea if they line or poof up this part of the dress to give it body?

o

For anyone else with similar questions, I ended up doing slight gathering at the top of the train shape before sewing it in. This created some additional draping from the top of the godet. I also hand sewed a couple of stiches about half an inch from the top of the godet where the godet joined both sides of the skirt (connected the two side seams together and forced the godet away from the body) to poof it out just a tiny bit. It's looking great.

o

Wonderful...post a pic when it's done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here