Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need some help with patterns please...

Posted by vicki_il (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 1, 09 at 12:14

Hi -
I'm just a novice. I have a Janome machine and it's really user-friendly. My problem is - reading and working with patterns. Does anyone have any info - websites, books, etc. - that I might use to help me learn how to do this? We have 1 shop in town that gives sewing lessons but it's really expensive.

Thanks,
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need some help with patterns please...

try the library for books on sewing for beginners - look for 'easy' patterns (not too many pieces) - start by making place mats, simple scarves or totes, simple A-line skirt, pullover blouse with maybe only 2 pieces, (front & back) ....what in particular are you wanting to create?

Carolyn

o

Someone told me to go for a simple vest. Is that a good choice?

o
sewing pattern help

Someone told me to go for a simple vest. Is that a good choice?

o

When you open a pattern envelope and take out the sheet(s) of directions, you will see a boxed off area called General Directions. In this box you will see an explanation of symbols used, how to adjust the pattern, cutting and marking help, and sewing info, including what seam allowance is recommended.

Yes, a simple vest is a good first sewing project.

Ask here if we can help you further - and a good basic garment sewing book will help you understand what it is that you are looking at.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here