Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherwoodva

Making a Duvet from old sheet set

sherwoodva
14 years ago

I'm on the east coast and snowed in, so right now I'm making a twin size duvet out of an old set of queen sized sheets. Cutting up the fitted sheet was a challenge. I used the decorative top of the flat sheet to fold over the top.

It has been an interesting challenge - keeps me from getting bored:)

Comments (6)

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Sounds like a great idea to me, and you already have the shams made!! :^)

• senecagal
    14 years ago

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I have been using a couple of sets of sheets to make "skirts" for the countertops and the cutting table in my sewing room. I'm using a sort of brick red and black. I cut bias strips out of the red to make large piping to go around the duvet.

How are you closing yours? I'm going to have an overlap in the back with seven red buttons. I haven't gotten it all sewn together yet.

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

am making the same thing, but had to solve the dust ruffle problem first. dust ruffles never work on my bed, then i found something called a swedish wrap on a blog from sweden and i am going to try that. Have the sewing done. Install is tomorrow.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Birdtalker, you can't leave us out in the cold....what in the world is a "Swedish wrap"??????
    Good luck to all of you!
    Senecagal that sounds very pretty!! I use brick red, black and tan in our MBR and love it!

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

the swedish wrap is essentially a long piece made the width and some inches more than a dust ruffle but not ruffled then placed like a dust ruffle, the top edge is folded in and pinned with safety pins to the top of the box springs. The mattress placed on top like always. You have a dust ruffle but without the ruffle. I trimmed the bottom edge with an eyelet lace. Made the comforter cover but have not tried it on the comforter yet. It may need adjusting. Found that the pillowcases were too tight so I have been sewing in a strip to enlarge them. They were off grain as well. Last time I buy a sheet set at a bargain place.Made in China I think..

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

the swedish wrap is essentially a long piece made the width and some inches more than a dust ruffle but not ruffled then placed like a dust ruffle, the top edge is folded in and pinned with safety pins to the top of the box springs. The mattress placed on top like always. You have a dust ruffle but without the ruffle. I trimmed the bottom edge with an eyelet lace. Made the comforter cover but have not tried it on the comforter yet. It may need adjusting. Found that the pillowcases were too tight so I have been sewing in a strip to enlarge them. They were off grain as well. Last time I buy a sheet set at a bargain place.Made in China I think..