Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
armhole sizes

Posted by carol4457 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 12, 07 at 11:52

I find all the tops I make, both knit and woven have a strange wrinkle that starts from underarm and goes toward the neck. As a test I increased the armhole size by 1inch and that took care of the wrinkles but now the front of the arnhole fits weird. My question is can you increase just the back arhmole and leave the front alone? And if so, how would you redraw the sleeve? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: armhole sizes

All patterns have ease built into the seam allowances.Are you matching up your notches,and your shoulder seam to shoulder seam and underarm to the underarm seam.If you are doing these things,then you shouldn't be having that problem.Also on wovens,ie cottons etc you may need to run a basting line of stitches on the sleeve to help ease it in.On knit,pins should be enough.Make sure to read your directions on your pattern,especially if you are fairly new to sewing.
HTH
Kathi

o
RE: armhole sizes

carol
perhaps it isn't the armhole, but the measurement across your back that needs increased. I've had this happen. I had to add to the fold line on the upper back pattern piece. You might just need a little more ease across your back.
good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here