Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are fabrics so cheap at Jomar?

Posted by tam184 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 11:47

Has anyone been to a Jomar Store? There are about 6 locations around the Philadelphia area.

My friend and I have been searching for fabrics to reupholster furniture and to make window treatments and stumbled across this store. We've been to 5 locations (the 6th one doesn't sell fabric) and they have a huge selection of fabrics and an okay selection of trims at unbeatable prices.

This past weekend, I bought 1 yard of home decor fabric to reupholster a bench for $2. I also got 12 yards of home decor fabric and 12 yards of trim to make 2 window valances and it cost me $42! I'm wondering why the prices are so cheap. I looked at the fabrics and they seem to be good stuff. Anyone have any experience or can shed some light on their pricing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are fabrics so cheap at Jomar?

My only guess would be that are not far from the garment districts in NYC, couple years ago while in Philiadephia went to JoMar Textiles I purchased some fabric for my niece's prom dress and a few suiting fabrics, found out the prom dress fabric was just like a Vera Wang (It was hand beaded.) fabric, the suiting was like a fabrics used by Nicole Miller and Ralph Lauren.
The savings on these fabrics were unbelievable.
Just make sure you check if they are printed that they are on grain.

o
RE: Why are fabrics so cheap at Jomar?

They probably sell mill ends. I'm Not quite sure what the term means but I think it is fabric that is left at mills when they change to a new design.

Just look on line there are many places that sell mill ends.

You are right I have bought mill ends and there is nothing wrong with them but sometimes there is. Just like outlet stores and seconds you have to watch what you buy, but you can get good bargains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here