Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I got a new sewing toy!

Posted by budster (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 11:33

OK, it's not really for sewing but it works a charm. DH gave me one of those magnets on an extending wand - for picking up all those pins I drop under the table and ironing board. You find the device in the hardware department and only cost a few dollars. If you have a bad back, it sure saves all the bending. Might work for some of you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I got a new sewing toy!

I love those! Right after attempting my first project using pins, I stole the magnet wand from my son's toybox. I keep it by the machine, and as I pull the pins out of the fabric, I practically "toss" them to my side and on to the magnet. I don't even have to look where I'm tossing. (Though maybe I should look every now and then.)

I want to get one of those big magnet pincushions. But they are 12 bucks here. And stealing my son's toy was free.

:-)

francy

o

I stole mine from DH, but I let him borrow it once in a while.

o

I had one of the ones on a wand.. grandson found it and oh my that was the end of it for my sewing.. he used it everywhere and more fun with that than any expensive toy I could have bought him.. he took it home with him and I never saw it again.. Huggy

o

Joann's sells the extending magnet thingy in the notion department, but I bought mine at the hardware for less $.
At Joann's they also sell a wand that is used by bingo players and you can find those at Dollar Stores, cheaper than at Joann's.
Kathy G in MI

o

My DH broke his back and now uses a cane.
He can't bend over so he bought 2 Earth magnets
and taped them to the sides at the bottom of his cane.
Now if he drops keys or anything metal
he doesn't have to bend to pick them up.
Dolly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here