Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need bobbin winder singer 221 advice

Posted by tropical_thought (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 10:51

I see I am still stuck as the top post and it's a blank post. I can not get that taken off. Any since I am taking up your value space, I thought I would ask another question.

I started to use the singer 221 and it's kind of clunky, but the real problem is I can not wind the bobbin. I looked at the online manual and I tired to turn the wheel as instructed but the winder won't revolve. I need to buy an outside singer bobbin winder, because I have bernina machines and they won't wind a singer bobbin.

I could to buy a singer machine just to wind a bobbin LOL. I can pick up a cheap sewing machine like at costco or maybe find one at a garage sale. The big older singers machines are expensive, but now it's like you can buy these tiny mini things.

I think I could buy a whole new machine for less then the cost of one service visit for the singer 221 which would run me 100 dollars. I will probably take it down to sunset singer on Irving in San Francisco and see if I can hammer out a deal with them. It's just too expensive to service a machine. It was just serviced years ago, but never used it. I am just starting to use it. This is first time I tried to wind the bobbins so I may be doing it wrong and there is probably nothing wrong with the machine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need bobbin winder singer 221 advice

There should be a little lever that needs to be pushed against the bobbin to engage the winder. It keeps the thread feeding smoothly.

If you can't get the winder to work, you could buy a Sidewinder. They cost around $30 at JoAnn's.

Donna

o

It good to know I can buy an outside bobbin winder. I hate having to stop a project and remove the thread just to wind a bobbin because you ran out. I think that would be a good product to have but I guess it won't work for the Bernina because Berninas are all sized differently. But, I am going to buy one right away maybe today even.

o
Link for bobbin winder

I found a link for a side winder at about 18 dollars, but there may be shipping charges. I wanted to pass this link on because it lists the bobbins the sidewinder will not wind. There is a pink sidewinder that is really cute also, but it was a limited edition, and I missed out buying it new. I have to look at ebay now and compare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super discounted sidewinder

o

I got the bobbin winder, but it does not do a very good job. It kind of works if you sort of deal with it, and work on it, but it's not very good.

So, I got the machine bobbin winder to work on the feather weight, I had not turned it to the belt. I wish there was a new updated manual with photos. Someone should write one. It's very hard to see the pictures and tell from the old manual what to do and read those directions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here