Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

bias tape question

barb_roselover_in
14 years ago

I was watching a sewing show a couple of weeks ago and saw that they have a machine to make bias tape. I don't do a good job of doing this by hand and I wondered if any of you have this (I imagine it is expensive) and if it is worth purchasing. I want to bind a vest with self-bias. Also, how to make the finishing so that it looks nice on both sides? I'm not too good at this either. - Barb

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

The link below shows how to make continuous bias tape. You can make it in any width you want. Just leave that much at the end and keep cutting. I don't know if they say this but draw on all your width lines with pencil on the wrong side so you get an even cut. Fold and press in half--right side out-- and then fold in 1/4 inch to the inside and press.

When sewing on bias tape, on the wrong side, open out the 1/4 inch fold and place the edge of the tape and the edge of the material together. Stitch in the fold of the tape. Then fold the tape back over to the right side and top stitch on the bias tape-- no worrying if you've caught the underside.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make continuous bias tape

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Revision:
    When you cut your strips don't forget to add 1/2 inch for the fold over--eg. if you want 1 inch bias you would cut your strips 2 1/2 inches.

The method of sewing is for 1/4 inch bias. For wider bias you would place the bias strip on the garment and see how far in on the garment you would have to place the seam.. eg.- for 1 inch bias put the fold on the inside with the 1/4 inch fold 1 inch in from the edge of the garment. The edge of the tape 3/4 inch from the garment edge and stitch in the ditch of the tape.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

If this is regarding the Simplicity Bias/Cutter Machines

My son got me both for my birthday last summer, they were about $80.00 each.. You need to buy extra feet for the Bias maker and Blades for the cutter..

IMHO, I rarely return anything, returned both, thought that these were more time consuming to do prep work to set both of these up, could make them quicker or buy a lot of bias pre-made for the cost of the machines.

Know some may like them but I put them in the category of the Dritz Snap Pliers, not great products.
    Notice that they keep lowering the prices, think both are under $50.00 each.

I think one of main things when sewing the bias to a project is that it is very well pressed using spray starch to get edges crisp, seems to make the sewing easier.

Hope other have better input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bias /Cutter Machines.

• princess_mimi
    14 years ago

I have used the machines for cutting bias and then pressing it into tape. They work great! Even folds pressed in no time flat. You can use the continuous bias technique and use the machine for cutting it.

If you plan on making your own bias for many things they might be worth it. If it's only for one project do it the hard way.

Good luck!
    ~~Mimi

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everybody for answering my questions. When I was in town I went to JoAnn's shop and they had one. It was $79.95--out of my budget. The girl said to wait until I could use a 50% coupon, but I was wondering if it was worth it for just one project. If I was a seamstress or that was something I did for a living, I could understand, but I have too many have-tos right now to afford that. It is so nice to present you ladies with questions and get them answered. I do appreciate that. - Barb

• jenni_ca
    14 years ago

I have the Clover bias tape gadgets. I love them! I don't ever buy bias tape anymore.
    I really like that I can make my own to match whatever it is I am sewing.
    Sometimes I need a size tho that there is no maker for.
    This is a really cool way to do it. This method works so perfectly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make your own bias tape

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville