Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pillowcase dresses

Posted by thelmalee (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 9:41

I have finally tried to make a pillowcase dress and was pleased with the results. My question is how long to make them for size 2-4 or size 4 or 6. I plan to make some for a craft show March 10. I enjoy the forum and read it every day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pillowcase dresses

I have found that 23 inches is a very good length for craft shows. It's a dress for younger girls and a swing top for the older ones.
Susan

o

Thank you loganhogan. I appreciate the info. One more question - How many inches from the top of the fold to the under arm seam? If I knew how I would post a picture of my two dresses already made!

o

I'm not real sure what you're asking, I think you're wanting a depth for the armhole? I do a one inch casing for the ribbon on each of my dresses. If you'll email me (click on my name and it will let you email me) I'll send you a scan of one of my armholes.
In this picture you can see the curve of the armhole pretty good. I was sweating it on the doll, the mom took great measurements for me, thank goodness.

Susan

o

I love the pillowcase dress style. There is one on this board with pantaloons that is amazing. My problem is the armholes. Even for bigger kids I suck at it. They look too small for me. Can anyone help?

o

i've posted a bunch of pics so I don't know if you're talking about one of my sets or not. The thing to remember with the armholes is they are adjustable with the ribbon. If you'll email me I'll email you an armhole template. Sometimes I will cut it a little bigger if I'm doing it to be worn over a shirt or for a much bigger child.
Susan

o

Susan, I have sent two e-mails through your "My Page" on this foram but not sure if they are going through. I would love to have your armhole template and I so unsure of how large to cut the hole. I know you adjust it with the ribbon but if it is too large you can't pull it up enough for a small dress and too small you can't pull the top up enough for a top for a larger girl. I am interested in a dress for a 2-4 year old and top for 6-8 year ole. My email address is tsan@mindspring.com.
Thanks for all your informaiton. I love this forum.
Thelma

o

Thelma,
I haven't gotten the emails so here's my addy for anybody who needs it. I'll email you the template.
LoganHogan@aol.com.
Susan

o

So cute! Where do you find the best pillowcases? Is there a place online to find more detailed instructions?

o

I make most of mine from fabric because it is cheaper. I've bought vintage pillowcases from ebay. I don't know what you can find on-line as far as directions. I wrote my own 2 yrs ago when Mother and I came up with our arm hole guide. Recently I saw where somebody was selling directions on ebay that was supposed to be a pdf file that included pictures of each step. That's a thought if you don't find detailed free ones.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here