Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thelmalee_gw

Pillowcase dresses

thelmalee
17 years ago

I have finally tried to make a pillowcase dress and was pleased with the results. My question is how long to make them for size 2-4 or size 4 or 6. I plan to make some for a craft show March 10. I enjoy the forum and read it every day.

Comments (9)

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

I have found that 23 inches is a very good length for craft shows. It's a dress for younger girls and a swing top for the older ones.
    Susan

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you loganhogan. I appreciate the info. One more question - How many inches from the top of the fold to the under arm seam? If I knew how I would post a picture of my two dresses already made!

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

I'm not real sure what you're asking, I think you're wanting a depth for the armhole? I do a one inch casing for the ribbon on each of my dresses. If you'll email me (click on my name and it will let you email me) I'll send you a scan of one of my armholes.
    In this picture you can see the curve of the armhole pretty good. I was sweating it on the doll, the mom took great measurements for me, thank goodness.

Susan

• kimntrent
    17 years ago

I love the pillowcase dress style. There is one on this board with pantaloons that is amazing. My problem is the armholes. Even for bigger kids I suck at it. They look too small for me. Can anyone help?

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

i've posted a bunch of pics so I don't know if you're talking about one of my sets or not. The thing to remember with the armholes is they are adjustable with the ribbon. If you'll email me I'll email you an armhole template. Sometimes I will cut it a little bigger if I'm doing it to be worn over a shirt or for a much bigger child.
    Susan

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan, I have sent two e-mails through your "My Page" on this foram but not sure if they are going through. I would love to have your armhole template and I so unsure of how large to cut the hole. I know you adjust it with the ribbon but if it is too large you can't pull it up enough for a small dress and too small you can't pull the top up enough for a top for a larger girl. I am interested in a dress for a 2-4 year old and top for 6-8 year ole. My email address is tsan@mindspring.com.
    Thanks for all your informaiton. I love this forum.
    Thelma

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

Thelma,
    I haven't gotten the emails so here's my addy for anybody who needs it. I'll email you the template.
    LoganHogan@aol.com.
    Susan

• speechgarden
    17 years ago

So cute! Where do you find the best pillowcases? Is there a place online to find more detailed instructions?

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

I make most of mine from fabric because it is cheaper. I've bought vintage pillowcases from ebay. I don't know what you can find on-line as far as directions. I wrote my own 2 yrs ago when Mother and I came up with our arm hole guide. Recently I saw where somebody was selling directions on ebay that was supposed to be a pdf file that included pictures of each step. That's a thought if you don't find detailed free ones.
    Susan

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor