Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shirt Sleeve Seams

Posted by ben_950 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 9:31

Hello,
I'm trying to wrap my head around how the seam, running the length of the sleeve, is sewn in commercially made shirts. It appears to be a simple flat felled seam. But how is this achieved considering the sleeve is a tube? Is there a specialized commercial machine with a long skinny arm that fits down the sleeve? Is it possible to make this seam at home?

Just hoping someone can shed some light while I await my copy of David Coffin's book.

Cheers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shirt Sleeve Seams

Good question - and when you find the answer please tell the rest of us - now you have me wondering as well.

o
RE: Shirt Sleeve Seams

Well, I've done it in the past, but it's slow going. I can see it in my head, I'll try to explain. Imagine placing a squashed tube(a spring?,a slinky?)around your pressure foot. This would be your basted(squashed)sleeve with your flat fell seam pressed, ready to stitch, facing you. Place the inside(bottom)edge under the needle and start stitching the pressed under edge. As you go, the sleeve moves away from you until you're done and the sleeve is no longer under the foot. I hope this makes sense. I don't know how it's done commercially.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here