Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathielo

Serger Question

kathielo
11 years ago

I have a White 2200 serger which I've had for about 4 yrs. Everyone complains about threading sergers but this one is rather easy, except for the needle. But that is not my problem for today, although I am curious about the dental floss needle threading....but I digress....My problem seems to be getting the overlocking stitches just right. I adjust the loopers, the needles tensions and then do a test sample. When I get it just right and go to overcast my garment the tensions are never the same. I can't understand it as I do use the same fabric. I am using the cone type thread. Could that make a difference? I know it is much cheaper than spool thread but if spool thread would solve my problem I would use it. Can anyone offer any suggestions for making adjusting the tensions easier? I have to get out my diagram book everytime. I could spend an hour just getting the tensions balanced...what a waste of precious sewing time. I am so frustrated with this I am considering buying a new serger but from what I read most are pretty basic 2/3/4 thread machines. Do sergers need professional adjustments like sewing machiines?

Comments (9)

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

I believe they CAN get out of timing. My serger is an Elna and I've found that all the thread has to be the same brand/wt. The cone thread is made for overlock machines, so ''cones'' should not be your prob. Sergers are very helpful, but can certainly be a pain. Maybe it is time for a servicing and adjusting.

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

Sergers easy to thread? I feel the need to do my Lamaze breathing when I need to re-thread :) My only thought is to use different colors of threads in the machine so you can pinpoint WHICH thread is the culprit. I feel for you-a machine problem is very frustrating!

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Put all your dials to 0,then follow the steps in your manual and that should straighten it out.If it doesn't,then you may have to take it in for service.
    Hth
    Kathi

• kathielo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the suggestions...I did rethread it with different color thread and played around with the tensions. I also set all dials to the original settings which I had made note of. This seemed to help and I was able to get it to make a decent overcast. I also oiled it per the instruction book. It wasn't very dusty but I cleaned all areas too. for now it seems to be OK. We shall see when I change projects.

this serger has the threading right out in front so I really don't have a problem with that but threading the needle is tough because the foot is high and in the way. Having arthritic fingers doesn't help either. How does the dental floss thing work. I had heard of it before but it seems you would have to putti in from the back of the needle and then pull the thread through. I would think that would be just as hard trying to find the needle hole from the back side.

• kathielo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the suggestions...I did rethread it with different color thread and played around with the tensions. I also set all dials to the original settings which I had made note of. This seemed to help and I was able to get it to make a decent overcast. I also oiled it per the instruction book. It wasn't very dusty but I cleaned all areas too. for now it seems to be OK. We shall see when I change projects.

this serger has the threading right out in front so I really don't have a problem with that but threading the needle is tough because the foot is high and in the way. Having arthritic fingers doesn't help either. How does the dental floss thing work. I had heard of it before but it seems you would have to putti in from the back of the needle and then pull the thread through. I would think that would be just as hard trying to find the needle hole from the back side.

• shadylady2u
    11 years ago

Have you tried changing needles? New needles or different size or type? I find old or defective or wrong type can sometimes affect the sewing.
    Try needle threaders or looper threaders to thread the needle. Makes the job a lot easier.

• kathielo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shady lady, no I didn't change the needle because it was a new needle to start with. What is the looper threaded? The needle threaded that came with the serger is useless!

• shadylady2u
    11 years ago

I'll include the link for the threaders I use.
    My serger didn't like Schmetz needles for some reason, so I started using Groz-Beckert needles. Now I'm not saying that's why you're having problems, just saying what helped with mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Looper Threaders

• shadylady2u
    11 years ago

I also use these needle threaders. You should be able to find these at a place like Joann's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Needle Threaders

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County