Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Tips? Tracing Ready-to-Wear

Posted by flowermum (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 8:47

Hi,

I found a simple wrap skirt that buttons close at the waist with a plain waistband.

I am a novice sewer, but it "seems" as though it would be easy to trace this particular ready-to-wear skirt.

Therefore, does anyone have any tips to offer for tracing a ready-to-wear item?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Tips? Tracing Ready-to-Wear

I've used wax paper and a tracing wheel,or a ball point pen with no ink.Recently i discovered that the press and seal type of wax paper works better but that could get a bit expensive.The reason i like that is because you can press it over the part you want to trace with your Hand,and it sticks.

Or since it's just a simple skirt can't you just fold it along the seam lines,lay it down on your tracing paper and trace around it and add seam allowance??
HTH
Kathi

o

Is the skirt cut on the straight grain or on the bias? Wrap skirts are often cut on the bias. making sure of the grain is very important. If you are unsure of this you may want to use a pattern. There are lots to choose from and are quite easy to do.

good luck

Bonnie

o

Thanks Kathi and Bonnie, I'm not sure about the bias, I'll have to check on that. Kathi, your tips make it "sound" easy.

I do have a wrap skirt pattern and I have made several of these skirts and I like them a lot, but I just wanted to try my hand at tracing a ready-to-wear.

I have a RTW wrap dress that I would like to trace as well, and thought the skirt would be a good place to start with tracing.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here