Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size strips cut for bias maker

Posted by stitcheasy2003 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 8:32

Hello
This may be a silly question to ask but what size strips do you cut for the size of the bias maker.
12mm 1/2"; 25mm 1"; 50mm 2". Thank you B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size strips cut for bias maker

There is a little chart that comes folded inside the package of Clover brand bias makers. According to this chart, for the 1/2" bias maker, cut 1" wide strips of medium weight fabric or 1 1/8" of lighter weight cloth such as lining. For the 1" bias maker, cut 1 7/8" of medium weight fabric or 2 1/8" of lightweight fabric. Interestingly enough, the chart shows the same width or light or medium weight fabric, 3 7/8", for the 2" bias maker. I guess if you are working with heavier fabric you would experiment to see what works before you cut too much.

Roberta Carr's sewing DVD called Couture Techniques for Fine Sewing illustrates the use of the bias maker beautifully, from finding the true bias to inserting the fabric to pressing. She makes it look easy. I look forward to finding out for myself one of these days.

Rosefolly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here