Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

Making drapes, but concerned my fabric is too stiff

pudgybaby
13 years ago

Hi, all! First post in this forum.

I want to make drapes for my family room. I finally found the perfect fabric in terms of colors and the style of the print, but the fabric is 100% polyester and is on the stiff side - polyester is definitely not my first choice! It's a very nice Robert Allen fabric, but I am concerned that it will not hang nicely. I would call it mid-weight for a polyester fabric, but light weight overall. I've linked to it below.

My main concern is that the drapes will flare out on the sides at the bottom of the curtains (because the stiff, light weight fabric will not want to hang straight down). I am a little concerned that they will billow out the whole length rather than lay flatter.

I plan to make flat panels with sew-in rings, no pleats. I will make the drapes just above floor length (like 1/4 inch off of the floor) which should help with my billowing concern. I will line them (probably muslin) and put a few weights in the bottom hem, and definitely weight the outside bottom corners. I am hoping that the lining and weights will alleviate the flaring issue.

Each of the two panels will be at least 2 fabric widths. These drapes cover a large window (150 inches wide) and we rarely close them. I know that the 2 widths will just barely cover the window, but we only close these curtains if the morning sun is too much. But that is hardly ever because the morning sun is so nice :o) The drapes are really for show.

What do you think? Is there anything that I should do differently? Would pleating help? Do you think I am making a costly mistake with this fabric? Should I keep looking for a better fabric? Lots of questions, but I so value your advice and experience!

TIA for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric

Comments (8)

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

My mom taught me to "train" all my draperies once they were hung. Draw them open and fold them into nice vertical pleats the way you would like them to hang. Wrap wide strips of fabric around and secure. For full length draperies you should secure in at least 3-4 places. Leave them like this for several days. If you have to close them at night, tie them up again when you open them. Some fabrics will "remember" their pleats better if you mist or steam them when so bound. If my directions are not clear enough, let me know and I'll try to post a pic.

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, cooksnsews, that makes perfect sense. I will try that method.

I tried pressing my fabric sample and it makes a pretty good crease, better than I thought it would. I'm almost ready to take the plunge and order fabric.

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Before your place your order, consider asking the seller if the fabric is considered appropriate for draperies, or if it is intended only for upholstery. They ought to be able to advise you.

It can be difficult to get a synthetic to take a crisp pleat, if that is what you are trying to do. Actually drapes usually have soft folds rather than crisp pleats.

Rosefolly

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the delay getting back to this thread. I was having problems logging in.

I am not trying to get a crisp pleat, rosefolly. I thought that I could use cooksnsews idea of training by either wrapping the drapes loosely or pinning the bottom outside edges in towards the rest of the drape so that it will be trained to not flare out.

I wonder if there is some sort of code that indicates if a fabric is suitable for drapery? I am concerned that if I ask someone at JoAnn fabrics I might not get the correct answer. It's kind of a crap shoot depending on their experience. I did see somewhere online a site saying that it is suitable for drapes.

Thanks again for your help and ideas!

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I really like your fabric choice!! Pretty color and simple pattern.
    Are you planning on washing the drapes once in a while? If so, I would wash & dry the fabric and also the lining before you start your project. Many materials are softer after washing.

If you use drapery weights (as you mentioned) and use a double-fold hem, I think your drapes will hang nicely.
    I checked my book: Windows with Ease (pretty sure I got it at Jo Ann's Fabrics) for their instructions on a double-fold hem:

1. Place fabric face down on a pressing surface. Turn under the entire amount allowed for the hem, such as 8" for a bottom hem on long curtains. Press the fold.

2. Unfold the pressed edge. Turn the raw edge under, aligning it to the pressed foldline. Press the fold.

3. Refold the hems along the pressed foldlines, encasing the raw edge to form a double-fold hem. Pin the hem in place and stitch along the inner fold.

Laurie

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, laurie!

I hadn't thought about washing the fabric and lining first - good idea. I bet it will soften up. And yes, I was planning a double fold hem with the weights. I got a couple of how-to books from the library - it looks pretty easy.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Please keep us updated on your progress!
    Maybe, you can post a picture when you are done?

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Will do. I ordered the fabric last night (over the internet).