Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ethereal_butterfly

sewing machine thread snap problem

ethereal_butterfly
17 years ago

Hi Guys,

I bought a sewing machine today from a second hand store, and I've been trying to make it work. It's been an uphill battle with the machine winning.

The machine came with no manual, and from what I can see online, there's no manual to be found.

The machine is a St James sewing machine. Dark blue metal.

I'm having trouble with trying to get a stitch done. I think I've threaded it all the way through, but whenever I press the pedal the needle goes up and down really fast and the top thread just snaps. the bottom thread goes through the material. so that can't be the problem.

For a while I wondered if the little metal things under the plate weren't moving and were causing the problem. But I tried putting some oil into a little hole that was in the plate. But nothing's changed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my problem is?

The last time I sewed was back in high school, so my memory of sewing is a bit rusty.

I would be so grateful for any advice/suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• colleenny
    17 years ago

First you will have to oil the machine. Since you cannot find a manual I would advise you to put oil in all the small holes that you see on top of the machine. Then turn it over and do the same on the bottom. Next thing is is check the thread tension dial. Take a piece of thread and run it through to make sure that it is clean. The tension dial sometimes has to be played with the get your correct setting. The setting should probably be at about 4-6. I never heard of that brand of machine. It sounds to me as if the tension is too tight. The machine could be threaded wrong is another thing that could be the problem. Colleen

• colleenny
    17 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say that I posted on my vintage singer forum to see if anyone might know anything about your machine. If I find out anything, I will let you know. Colleen

• ethereal_butterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for your advice! I've oiled the machine in all the holes, but when i turned it over, I couldn't see any holes for me to oil?

I've had a look and usually the first stitch works, and then afterwards, it all just goes crazy. the thread snaps, sometimes the thread under the material gets all bunched up.

Sometimes it even decides to do a few stitches! But the bottom of the material never looks right.

I've tried moving the dog pedal (? is that what it's called? the little razor things) but I can't decide which is 'up'. I'm wondering if that's just adding to my problems. Either way, the thread keeps on snapping regardless of what I do, whether there are stitches or not.

I tried playing around with the tension but it doesn't really seem to do much?

When I turned it over, I had a look at what was going on, and it seemed the thread would just get tangled in the bobbin, which then caused it to snap. But I'm at a loss as to *why* it's snapping.

RE the vintage singer forum, if it helps, I'm in Australia. There's a label on the engine that says it's made in Victoria, by "Warren Playton" but I've tried googling that name too, and it's come up with nothing.

Thanks for your advice! I'll give the tension thing another go after lunch.

• colleenny
    17 years ago

The needle might be in wrong if you are getting thread bunches. Colleen

• colleenny
    17 years ago

We call those little razor shaped things Feed Dogs. They should be in the up position. Someone emailed me to tell me that the St James Machine was manufactured by the Standard Company if that is any help to you. Colleen

• ethereal_butterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Colleen,

I tried taking out the needle and putting it in differently, but it seemed to be only be able to fit in one way, so no go with that idea.

Thanks for letting me know about the St James machinese. I might try and google for Standard Company and see if I come up with anything.

• benstanton_live_com_au
    13 years ago

Hi guys.
    The sewing machine is made by Koyo. The company that (may have) assembled it was " Warner Drayton Co. of Australia Pty Ltd" from Footscray, Melbourne.
    You may be able to find a manual if you research Koyo.
    I have a black St James-not working.
    Hope this helps,
    Ben

• kaneda_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I know this was posted years ago, but since I ran into a similar problem I thought I'd post a (possible) solution:
    Check the needle.
    My thread kept snapping, I tried adjusting tension, nothing... and then I found a manual that suggested I reinsert the needle "with the flat part facing the rear of the machine."
    No more problem after that. Simple soution, but i hadn't sewn in years and didn't even think to check that the needle was inserted into the machine properly. (Most needle fit equally facing forward or back, so the 'just see which way it fits' solution doesn't work here)
    Hope this helps others.

• apomixis
    13 years ago

Guy,

Yes, my wife thanks you profusely. We've been trying to figure out what on earth is wrong with her Janome sewing machine for over a year. Manuals, web searches, tightening, loosening, cursing...nothing worked. She's never been able to use it.

This thread was mostly dormant for 4 years, and yesterday I found your response less than an hour after you posted it. Now she can sew again. THANK YOU!!!

• cross_stitch
    13 years ago

When I had this snapping problem on a Singer Featherweight, the cause was a broken flat spring on the underside of the throat plate. There are two of these angular springs that center the bobbin case finger and each time the thread looped below the needle, it would catch and often break the thread. Although the youngest of these machines is going on 50 years old there are several dealers that carry vintage parts.

Regarding "I couldn't see any holes for me to oil" I hope everyone who uses a manual sewing machine understands that the plate on the bottom of the machine serves to protect moving parts from lint and and the surface it is on from oil. It must be removed to access numerous oil ports (and gears that require occasional lubricant).