Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rawrkitty95

Decent sewing machine to learn with.

RawrKitty95
12 years ago

What kind of sewing machine would be good to start learning on? I have only sewed with my friend guiding my hands, and she said she would teach me if I got my own. Is there a kind of sewing machine that is a decent price, not going to break or malfunction too much, and is safe to use for a klutz like me. I'm afraid of accidentally putting my fingers too close to the needle, and getting hurt, so I was wondering if there was a type of sewing machine that is made for beginners and is safe to use.

Comments (4)

• jomuir
    12 years ago

there's no sewing machine that will protect your fingers, you'll need to learn to keep your fingers out of the way. Once you get a machine, you'll find that allowing the feed dogs to do their job to pull the fabric to the needle is easy, pushing it to the needle yourself can give a bad stitch. Let your machine do the work! And NEVER run over pins, I'll be over your shoulder watching:) That can mess up the timing of the machine or break a needle while you're sewing.

As far as a machine goes, if you think you'll be doing much sewing get the best machine you can afford. I find that a lot of new sewers get caught up in the number of stitch functions on machines. To tell the truth, you really only need straight stitch and zigzag. I rarely use the extra stitches on my machine.

If you have a sewing machine dealer nearby, consider a used model; you may be able to get a much better quality gently used machine for the same cost as a new lesser quality new one from a big box store.

Good luck, I hope you learn to sew on your own & enjoy it!

• sewingmommy
    12 years ago

Hi. I may be a bit prejudiced, but I love Berninas. The older ones especially. If you can find a dealer in your area, see if they have any old one to sell. I have a 1020 and it sews well, is pretty easy to figure out and actually has a few decorative stitches. I picked mine up from a Bernina shop a few months ago for $300. That may be a bit more than you want to pay, but you will keep it a long time. Berninas seem to run forever. All my machines are old. They were built better than many new models and just keep chugging along. I have an old Kenmore too and it also sews well. But the Berninas have a lot of user friendly ideas that others don't. If you can, look for a presser foot knee lifter. I never had one before the Bernina and now don't like sewing without it. Personally, any older machine that is heavy(metal insides) will probably sew well. I have seen old models at Goodwill. Just make sure if it is old to have it cleaned and checked by a tech to make sure all is working well and is oiled. Good luck and happy sewing!

• debbimc
    12 years ago

I was in your same dilemna & I just jumped out & bought a new Bernina 330--gave $990 for it. I looked aroud but was confused & had pretty much ruled out a used one. I thought what the heck --the Bernina should be great--now I have to use it!

• agmss15
    12 years ago

I just bought a mid-range Janome - in part the brand my local fabric store (where I took my first sewing lessons 30 yrs ago) carries. My recommendation is to get the nicest you can afford - that is sold locally - at a store you like. And take lessons from your friend and the store. I don't need ALL the fancy stitches - but some of them are helpful and a more powerful motor is really nice. As is the fact this thing ties off and cuts the thread at the end of a seam. If I really get into sewing again I may wish I went whole hog for the longer arm and yet bigger motor - but so far this one is great. As far as safety - I am not at all afraid of my sewing machine - but my sister and I have been woodworking lately - now those are some intimidating machines! Good luck!