Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Introductory machine

rosefolly
13 years ago

I'm planning to buy a sewing machine for my DH's nine-year-old grand daughter. I'm looking for a good quality mechanical machine, something sturdy and reliable that won't cause her to give up sewing in frustration. My own first machine was of poor quality and I stopped sewing for several years, until I bought a better one. It just wasn't any fun.

I don't want a toy. I'd like a decent machine that could see her through her though college if she takes to sewing, and serve as a useable machine in her adult years if she decides only to use it for mending or the occasional craft project.

I really like the Bernina 1008, but my budget is around $300, and those machines are around $800-$900, and not a whole lot cheaper used. I love my old Pfaff 6091, but it's not made anymore, and it was in about that same price range. I have been told that some of the inexpensive Singers and Brothers found in big box stores are of poor quality, so I want to stay away from them. I see that Janome makes a machine for schools called the S-3015 SchoolMate. I don't know the price of it. Does anyone have any experience with it? What about Elna or Husvarna? Do either of them make a good quality entry level sewing machine?

Rosefolly

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert