Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

how hard can it be?

kateskouros
13 years ago

hello, i'm visiting from the kitchen and home building forums. our house is almost complete and i need very simple draperies: working roman shades and pinch pleat drapes. i was forced to take home ec as a child in the sixth grade, my first year of middle school in 1974. i was royally pi$$ed off about this since they divided us by sex. the boys went to wood shop, the girls ...you get it. the class was broken up into two parts: 1/2 of the year we learned "cooking" which basically covered making items such as jell-o molds and rice krispie treats. the second half covered "sewing' -where my (female) peers and i constructed simple gingham drawstring bags, embroidered with our initials. i hated the stupid bag since i was forced to use gingham. anyway, i did at least learn to thread a machine, although i despised having anything to do with that darned bobbin.

fast forward many decades and i arrive at a place where i would actually like to be able to sew something. i need a machine, so i was going to look into purchasing a husqvarna emerald 116. i want to be able to easily make button holes, which i understand this machine does. two of my friends have them and highly recommend.

my real question is: with a little practice and much-improved attitude, do you suppose i might be successful in constructing simple romans and pinch pleat drapes? -i know there are tapes available which would make the headers on the drapes pretty easy. i figure, i can cut and thread a machine and measure accurately. i should be able to do this, right?

Comments (2)