Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

copying a big pattern

Laurel Zito
14 years ago

I have a pattern that is big, and it's like on some kind of white paper, not pattern paper. It's multiple sized. I have been tracing out my size, but it's so time consuming. I want to just photocopy it, and then cut it out, but how to find a big copier? It was actually pirated by someone else who sold it to me to ebay and all photocopied, so there must be some way to do it. It's out of print.

Comments (9)

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That post I did on test fabric never showed up. I asked them to remove the topic and they never contacted me or bothered to remove that post that is missing. Anyway, I now have lots of test fabric.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I use the Kwik sew patterns sometimes,and they have all sizes on a big sheet of paper.What i do is find the size i need,then go along all those cutting lines(my size) with a marker,making them a different color than what is printed on the paper.Then i take my paper scissors and make clips all along the cutting lines and fold the excess in,and i'm left with the size i need and i didn't ruin the pattern in case i need a different size later on down the line.Works for me,and hope it makes sense to you.
    Kathi

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It does make sense, but the pattern is too expensive to cut without copying it. I was tracing it out, but it was so tiring, I am not an artist. LOL

Anyway that blank message is still on the very top of the list about test fabric, someone please find the moderator. It looks like that was the last message posted, because it's stuck on top and it's blank.

There must be someway to access a big copier, maybe it was not pirated, but the directions were photocopied in black and white which made me feel like it was pirated. So, if the pirates can get their hands on a big photocopier, why not me?

• dee_can1
    14 years ago

What I did, when I needed to make a photocopy of a pattern that was larger than 8.5 x 11 (standard paper size), I copied the pattern in 4's, or quarters. Say you want to make a copy of a... big frog. ? Photocopy the left side of the head, photocopy the right side of the head, photocopy the left side of the rest of the body, photocopy the right side of the rest of the body. Match up the four pieces of paper, scotch tape them together - and you'll have a big pattern.

I tried it first by photocopying tracing paper - didn't work because the paper was so delicate it got caught in the printer. So, then I just used regular paper, and it worked fine. It may turn out kind of dark all over, so I ended up tracing the lines over (after it was photocopied) with a black sharpie pen. Then I cut out the pieces. Good luck.

• dee_can1
    14 years ago

I get what you mean about the 'test fabric' post. If you reply to the topic, that will make it move along (and eventually get lost in cyberspace), I think. Someone could post to it - you can too if you change the subject line. But, I'm not sure that's what you want; of if you want the moderator to delete it... Of course, I could be totally wrong. lol

• dee42
    14 years ago

If you have a blueprint copy store close to you, they can often copy large pieces of paper -- most blueprints are large single pieces of paper. Check in the yellow pages under "copy stores" for listings too.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Dee 42, the post is blank and can not be replied to, so it can not move along. Try clicking on it. I have a printer photocopier actually, I could try taping them together, I just am waiting for the ink refill arrive in the mail, so I can use it again.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Get some artists tracing paper. It comes in a booklet of larger sheets of 11x14. Pin it to your pattern on the edges until it's covered overlapping slightly. You can see through it enough that the black lines would show. Trace all your lines and then tape the pieces together and you have your pattern.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

If i were going to trace it onto smething,i would use cheap interfacing,it'll last longer and be more durable than paper,and also longer and wider.
    Kathi