Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hallngarden

sewing bras

hallngarden
14 years ago

Have any of you sewn bras. Over at the kitchen table we were discussing bras , and straps not staying up. I made my bras many years ago. Thinking about sewing a bra, would like to try sewing a camisole with a bra. Thanking you in advance for any input on sewing bras.

Comments (8)

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I did years ago,back in the 80's.I actually took some lingerie classes and made my own panties(easy)remember making one bra,made 1/2 slips and nitegowns etc.I still make most all my own nitegowns,and made a 1/2 slip for my GD maybe 6 years ago as she couldn't find one in the stores.
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Forgot to say,it's harder now to find the supplies for lingerie.All my nite gowns are either cotton,or cotton flannel for the winter.I hate polyester.
    Kathi

• hallngarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathi, thank you for answering. Same as you, I made them several years back. Its just so hard to get fitted in a bra. As we know its not cheap to buy a bra. When I was younger, things would not frustrate me when sewing, but now that I am in my 70's, it takes me a bit of time to make sure I have my patterns figured out before I start sewing. I am looking around at patterns, and have checked with my local hancock and they have the findings. So will decide if its worth my time to give it a try again.

• jomuir
    14 years ago

I have made a few in the last couple years, I make them from Jan Bones 'Excellence in Sewing' patterns. The ones I like are front-closure sport style. I use any good strechy fabric and soft elastic. Findings are hard to get, so I try to buy what I need at her booth when she comes to the sewing expo in Michigan every fall. It's nice to get it there as she will give advice if she has time. Her pattern instructions are easy to understand and follow.

She will also mail order, it takes a bit longer as she is in Canada. I have a pattern of hers that is a sport style, no cloures, just pull it on, but I haven't made it yet.

• hallngarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the Jan Bones site. I have been exploring the site since you posted. Her patterns will be a great place for me to get started. Loved the cross over sports bra. Thanks for the help. I like the fact of using the stretch fabric and elastic.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Since i had breast cancer last year,i no longer really have a need for a bra,per se.I do wear the hanes sports bras with the front opening as i don't like the naked feeling under my clothes ,especially when going out.Around the house i don't care,unless i'm cold.I'm also in my 70's now,will be 72 in March~~~~~~~~~~~~~where did the years go????
    Kathi

• hallngarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathi, you are right, where did the years go. When I stop to think about my age it doesn't seem possible. I still think the same way I did in my early years. Thankful that both my husband and I have both made it through this many years. My mother is in her 90's and still lives alone. So I am trying to pretend 70's are my teenage years. Your first post got me to thinking about using softer knits for underwear, and the patterns the next poster, jomuir, told me about, could use the softer. My next brainstorm was making childrens underwear. It took DH and I this many years to have our first grandchildren, 4 months old, and 2, so I am also thinking of sewing for them. Don't you love the hanes sports bra. That is my gardening bra. So comfortable. Thanks for responding. I will post the rest of the story, when I figure out which project that I want to start first. The Jan Bones site was a great place to start. Easy works good for me.

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

If anyone fins a pattern for a minimizer bra please let me know I hate to have pointy boobs

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor