Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

Jacket for Evening Dress

Laurie
14 years ago

Hope everyone had Happy Holidays!

I'm ready to make the jacket for the dress that I'll be wearing to my daughter's wedding. It's only 3 months away!

For anyone who didn't see my dress, you can look at my past posts under "Evening Dress-for wedding" There is also a "part 2" and a "part 3" post.

The dress is a See & Sew pattern (long skirt & sleeveless top). The jacket is Very Easy Vogue V8188. I'm going to make the jacket with the same fabric (blue silk dupioni) as the dress. I'm going to add some beaded type embelishment/trim around the cuffs of the sleeves.

Here is the Jacket

I made a practice jacket out of blue broadcloth. I used size 18 and did not make any alterations to the pattern. I am showing pics to get feedback on the length. Does it look long enough?

I think the sleeve length feels good, but the sleeve width seems a bit loose. For the second practice sleeve, I was thinking about using a 1" seam instead of 5/8" seam all along the arm to see how that feels. What do you think?

I will need to be more careful when easing in the sleeve cap to the armhole in order to keep the tucks at the armhole to a minimum. I will try and do better on the second sleeve.

While I was trying on the dupioni top, one of the covered buttons fell off! Not the entire button, just the fabric covered "cap" part. I'm glad this happened now, and not at the wedding. I will check all of the buttons to make sure they are secure. Are there some button products that are better than others? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

-Laurie

Comments (121)

• pattiohio
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I stand corrected.
    OOPS Just notice the lining is constructed possibly with raw edge, cannot see rest of instructions may suggest a bias cover for edge.
    I have seen the sleeve lining hand stitched to shoulder

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sherry & Patti - Thank you, again, for more good ideas. I really do mean it when I tell you how much I appreciate your comments and ideas & encouragement! Patti- I did get your email with the link. It shows a lot of common fitting problems & solutions and has some very good pictures (I really like pictures, it helps me understand much better). Sherry- both sides of the fabric are equally shiny : (
    No seams are showing on the inside of the (completed) jacket. The lining is sewn together, just like the fabric. Then, the two are placed right sides together & then I stitched ALL the way around...sides, bottom, front & neck. I only hand baste the armhole edges. The sleeve & sleeve lining are done together & later attached to the arm hole. I left the sleeve lining free while I stitched the sleeve to the arm hole. Last step is to slip sleeve lining over sleeve, adjust ease & slipstitch.

The only thing I did (regarding the jacket), today , was to buy 5/8" shoulder pads and to think about what I want to do. I am leaning towards taking my jacket to a tailor and discussing it with him/her.

I'll keep you posted.

-Laurie

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Laurie:

Your explaination of the construction makes more sense. I couldn't see a pattern calling for lining and having the raw sleeve edge showing. It just didn't make sense.

I think the tailor is the best idea. Like Pattie said it probably doesn't need much, just a little tweeking. It's knowing where to tweek that's the problem. It would be much easier to help if we were there.

Your sewing is so neat and you are doing such a good job, it would be a shame not to get the look you are going for.

I'll be thinking about you and praying everything goes well for you.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Laurie, We will still be here for you, we think your the greatest.. Let us know what you decide to do.
    Hugs, Patti

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, you are my sewing angels and you're the nicest group of people!

I feel these past two days I needed to step away emotionally & physically from this jacket. I am glad I did that. Today, I tried it on, again, and it doesn't seem as bad as it did on Sunday. I even showed my neighbor who I know has good taste and she would tell me her honest opinion. She sees the extra fullness in the bust area, but doesn't think it's major. She feels a professional pressing will be all that's needed. She also agreed with the use of shoulder pads. Her last suggestion is something I hadn't thought of...a padded bra. I really don't want to add any weight/size to my body, but I'm willing to be open to the idea of at least trying it out.

I'm still thinking...but now leaning towards removing those little tucks at the armhole like we talked about & then add the other sleeve.

Then, try the 5/8" shoulder pads & maybe a padded bra.

If it looks decent, then I'll get everything professionally pressed & that will be that.

Sound like a plan?
    Any other comments/ideas?

Here are 4 pics taken today. No shoulder pads & the little tucks in the arm hole have not been released. The actual dress top has a little bit more body to it compared to the sleeveless thin t-shirt top I'm wearing here. When you look at the front darts, they appear to go up higher than they actually do. There is a void between my body & the fabric, hence the buckle inward of the fabric there : /

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Sent you an email, might be a weather problem, cannot seem to do a post...LOL watch this one go through it erased 3 others.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A heartfelt shout out to Patti for sending a search through her other sewing friends on other forums for a tailor/seamstress in my area of Southern California. I explained the whole experience to Patti in detail through email. Botttom line is that I feel very peaceful about this particular tailor that I found through Patti's help. The tailor pinned the sides, the back & the arms & she showed me how much she'll shorten the sleeves. I feel a sense of peace, but I also feel like I've left one of my children at a hospital for an operation! I will post pictures when it's completed.
    -Laurie

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Bravo Pattie!!!
    You sure lucked out Laurie when Pattie came to help. I doubt any of the rest of us here could have done as much to help you as she has. I'll be looking forward to the model of the completed outfit.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

How wonderful that Patti help you find the tailor. That is what this forum is all about, being able to reach out and help one another. Patti, knew you were an amazing person from your postings. All of you that were posting to Laurie were being so helpful. I was just sitting here on the sidelines cheering all of you on to the finish. Laurie, knew you had great coaches from the start. With my older brain, it was best that I was a cheerleader instead of a coach. I continue to sew, but not as much with details as when I was much younger. Can't wait to see the finished product.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Laurie,
    Helping each other is what it is all about, your dedication to the projects just warmed my heart.
    We are all so proud of you!!!!

When asking some of my sewing friends for help, I asked that whomever the choose please make sure they are sensitive to Laurie's needs not pushy or aggressive.

I got 4 emails this morning makings sure you found someone, told them about seamstress and how you seem to interact with her. They were all thrilled.

No matter how experienced we are, sometimes it takes a different set of eyes or a hands on approach.

Like the others I am looking forward to seeing the finished outfit all together..

*Myrna, Believe me you are a great help to all on the GW forum always helping and suggestion solutions.

*hallngarden, your more than a cheerleader, you always have positive input and encouragement for others.

Big Hugs, Patti

• pris
    14 years ago

This has been a wonderful thread to follow. The questions were clear and concise and photos right on. Everyone did a fantastic job in guiding Laurie as far as she could go and that's great. I must admit it had me looking for my books I packed away a long time ago. Especially those on alterations and altering for problem areas. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate what I was looking for but Patti got Laurie the help she needs and all is well. You're going to be the belle of the wedding ball when you walk in in that gorgeous outfit.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Laurie: anxious to hear from you. Do you have an idea as to how long it will take the tailor. If they are like the ones around here, they stay very busy. Lady that lives beside me is a tailor, and she is in such demand. Sometimes I see her lights on very late at night or rather early morning. Think in this economy, folks that have nice clothes are using a tailor for repairs. Know you are going to be so happy with the end result.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Myrna, Hallngarden, Patti and Pris - Thanks for your continued support and interest : )
    I have not heard anything from the tailor. I did tell her when the wedding is (April 17) and I told her to take her time. She did not give me a time frame and I did not ask.
    She was working with another mother of the bride at the time I arrived there. It was fascinating for me to watch all the pinning and discussion between them. The shop is located in a small outdoor shopping area. It's not visible from the street. It's tucked away in the back. I'm guessing that she gets most business by word of mouth, but does have a nice web site.

I left it with her on Thursday. I was thinking of giving her a call this Thursday just to touch bases and get a feel for a time frame that it might be ready.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Oh Laurie, where are you. I am getting anxious to see the final result. Realize there is still plenty of time before April 17th. Know you have been busy getting other things ready. Just a note to say we support you.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hallngarden- Thank you for your support! I did stop by the tailor's shop last Thursday when I was out doing errands. I gave her a little extra fabric in case she needs it to cover the shoulder pads. She was appreciative for that and told me she was just getting ready to start working on the jacket.
    I am anxious to see how it fits when she's done! I am glad that I've been busy doing other tasks for the wedding. Sometime, I will take a picture of the small clutch purse (that is made with the same dress fabric) and post it : )

Last Tuesday, dd and I assembled the invitations and mailed them.This week I've been receiving the RSVP's and keeping track of who's coming and their entree choice. I am also researching "candy station" items for the reception.

Can't believe Feb. is almost over! I hear about all the snow on the news that people to the East are still battling.
    Hopefully, Spring will arrive very soon so they can dry out and feel the warmth of the sun : )

-Laurie

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Hi Laurie, Wow you have a lot on your plate right now, sounds like your handling it well.....
    Looking forward to seeing the purse and the jacket when finished....
    Thank you for wishing we people in the east an early spring. We all have a fingers crossed...
    Hugs, Patti

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Hi again Laurie: All of your hard work will pay off getting ready for April 17th. I could not get the smile off my face on our daughters wedding day. She lived five hours away from us during the time of planning the wedding. Shortly after she was engaged she was visiting in DC and went to Vera Wang just to look, found the perfect gown. We were vacationing and could not get back to see the gown. They don't normally allow you to photograph the gowns but after speaking to me knew there was no way we could get there. I did not see the gown on her until the day of the wedding. Her DC friend picked up the gown to bring it to the wedding. First time we saw it on her was the day of the wedding, you talk about taking my breath away. Trust me the most beautiful bride in the history of brides. Every mother in the universe will say the same. So, I say all this to say, this is your daughter's day, but will also be the most wonderful day of your life. The second most wonderful day of our lives was two years later when they announced the coming of our first granddaughter, and the next year the coming of our grandson. After being married 50 years we were ready for all of this good news. So I said all of this to say, I wish for you and your family the most wonderful time of celebrating a wonderful event that you will remember for the rest of your lives. When you have on that beautiful gown that you worked so hard on getting just right, all of the other stumbling blocks will fade away. My best wishes to you and yours in the upcoming event.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! I love hearing happy stories about weddings!! I am getting more excited with each week. Below, is a link to my daughter's wedding gown. She wants to wear the veil I wore at my wedding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wedding Gown

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Laurie, that is the most beautiful wedding gown. Thank you for posting the picture. How special is that she is going to wear your veil at her wedding. I had thought years back that I would make my daughters wedding gown. So glad that I didn't take that on. My gown and my mothers was enough work for me. She got married in July and I had both of our gowns ready in December, and also the dresses for the parties. A wedding gown would have taken me over the edge. It felt good to have all of the sewing done before Christmas. The three of us stay about the same size over the years, so knew they would surely still fit in 6 months. We were also very fortunate, that several families helped us with all the planning in the town where she was living at the time. Can't wait to see the progress you make on you plans.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My daughter also is having a sheer short sleeve bolero to go with her gown. We bought some ivory (matches the color of her dress) organza fabric. She showed this picture of a bolero that she really likes (link posted below) to the tailor who is doing the alterations on her gown and they will be sewing it for her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organza Bolero

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Laurie, the bolero is beautiful. Can't help but feel that your mother had a great influence on your fashion choices and also your daughter. Can't wait to see the beautiful pictures. What I am hoping is that our granddaughter will wear her mother's gown at her wedding. Of course she is only 2, but that is our hope. Our daughter had wanted me to wear her gown on our 50th wedding anniversary, even though we weigh the same, there is a difference in the proportions of the now 36 year old body and my 72 year old body. It was already sealed, so I didn't want us to have to seal it again, for me to prove that I could not get all of my body in her gown. Her waist is still 23, but mine is just a little more at my age. Thanks for letting us stand on the sidelines watching all the wedding plans.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Laurie Pictures of gown, veil and bolero are beautiful, what a wonderful warm feeling you must have that she will be wearing your veil.
    Think we are all excited for your daughter and your family.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just got home from work, today (Monday). Found out the jacket is ready and that the cost will be $85. Not sure if that's a reasonable price or not. Anyway, if it's just perfect, then I will be extremely happy. The total cost of everything total will still be a lot less than if I had purchased at a store.

When I bring it home (probably tomorrow - late afternoon), I'll take pictures and post them.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I am happy to report that the jacket looks SO MUCH better! The tailor did a great job : )

I tried it on in her shop with my dress and shoes. She was very sweet and kept telling me what a nice job I did. I left all three pieces with her to be pressed. I can see the seams looked much nicer on the jacket where she had pressed/ironed them. She will make all the seams on the skirt & top look better, as well.

I won't forget to post pictures when I bring it all back home.
    -Laurie

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

So glad to hear the good news. Knew the tailor would do a wonderful job. Laurie, yes, you did a beautiful job in your sewing. I am so proud of the time you took with your sewing. You had done all the hard work, that pressing makes a huge difference. You were so smart to get the last details tweaked so you could go on to other items to get ready for the wedding. How silly I would be some nights or rather over in the mornings sitting at my machine thinking what was I thinking when I took this on. You will be an amazing mother of the bride.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Hoping it all worked out, anxious to hear about and see the jacket.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Laurie sent you a pm, I seem to get delayed messages when using GW, I did not see your post or hallngarden
    on my last post.

Excited for you looking forward to seeing the finished outfit and evening bag...

So happy that you are pleased with the tailor's work.
    Will check in tomorrow.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Laurie, just checking in to see if most of your wedding plans are in order. Know you have been very busy during this time.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me. It seems like a long time that the dress and jacket have been away at the tailor. It's been 9 days and she was only going to press the seams. I did find out that she is the owner and sole worker (no employees). She must be busy and not had time to get to my dress. I don't want to pressure her, yet I am anxious to get it home. I also want to post pics for you to see.

The RSVP's have been arriving by mail a little slower than expected. Still, more than half have replied. In the next 9 days we should have every reply in. If not, then I need to email and/or call people who forgot. Dd and I met with the florist today and the sample centerpiece looked amazing!
    Dd left a large roll of light blue (cornflower blue?) velvet ribbon with the florist.
    The dress I will wear to the rehearsal dinner came in today's mail and I like it a lot (ivory with floral print). Dd suggested that it would be a good dress for me. I like Talbot's clothing (see link below) and I didn't want to tackle trying to sew another dress so close to the wedding! I am looking forward to sewing after the wedding's over and everything settles down.

-Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Talbot's dress - rehearsal dinner

• pris
    14 years ago

Just the thought of all the work that goes into a wedding is exhausting! I don't know how you do it and make your own dress. Your rehearsal dinner dress is lovely too. We're all looking forward to your pictures when you get it back. You're definetly going to be the belle of the ball.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Laurie, thanks for taking the time to answer. Know how those last minute details take a bit of time. After daughters wedding I try to be more careful about answering the rsvp's sooner now. That was the main problem that we encountered. We had a full sit down dinner and at the last minute we had some to respond , so the caterer was wonderful, she took care of the extra at the last minute. Love your rehearsal dinner dress. Can't wait to see all the pictures after the wedding. Laurie, just know that we are thinking of you. Hope by the time of the wedding, you can just kick back and love the ride. I had made up my mind when we were driving down for the wedding that it was going to be a wonderful week of parties. Know it will be an exciting time for all of your family to remember for the rest of your life. Hope you inspire me to get started on my outfits for the college reunion, its on April 10th. I bought two outfits and now I don't think they are the ones I want. Now, its just about a month away, have no outfits. Talbots or J Crew thing fit me perfect off the rack, so hoping to find time just to shop again and find something that feels good to me. Have lots of fun with the upcoming events.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pris & hallngarden - Thanks. It's so helpful to read encouraging words!

hallngarden- can you post the outfits you are deciding between? What time of day is the event and the type of venue?
    Is there a JCrew or Talbots near you? What I am finding is that these stores have a lot more available online compared to what's stocked in the stores.

I plan to give the tailor a call this Monday.

-Laurie

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Hi Laurie: Went out shopping this morning. The reunion is going to be very casual. Just a catered bbq for lunch outside, and a dinner buffet that night. So I am thinking very casual for lunch, and just a little dressy at night. This morning I went to Ann Taylor Loft to look around. Sometimes I am just not in the mood to shop, and this was one of those days. I love wearing jeans that are dressed up with silk blouses and jewelry, so I may wear jeans for both events. Didn't take back the outfits that I bought earlier. We have a JCrew and Talbots here so I need to get serious about looking. Tomorrow after church, I plan to start looking again, we are planning on a trip this next weekend, so I need to get organized. May end up just using something in my closet. About two years ago , I took a whole new approach to clothing. In our old house, guess I had two walk in closets completely full of clothing that I never wore. When we moved to our new home, gave the goodwill and salvations lots of really good clothes. Decided all I wanted to have were a few good pieces that I could mix and match. In all the clothes I had, I only kept about a dozen pieces, and now I take a look before I buy to make sure it goes with what I already have. I grew up very poor , and have always blamed that for my obsession with having lots of clothes. It had finally gotten to be a hindrance in my life having so many, it was as though the closet was full and nothing to wear. Its so great now, opening the door and I can select in 5 minutes my outfit for the day. Laurie, you have inspired me to look for a singer featherweight. Habitat is a favorite place for us to spend time , must be lots of us out there looking. One Saturday, I walked in and spotted , one, a gentleman was standing there, said his wife had placed him there while she decided. Didn't want her to think I was pushy, so I moved on to something else and decided to go back later and see if she decided. Knew if I was just standing there , she will feel she had to go ahead and purchase. When we finished our shopping I walked back and she had bought it. Ifs it meant for me to have one, I will run into it somewhere when I am out looking. Going to take your advice and look on line at some of the sites to see if any clothing catches my eye.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Hi everyone..Sound like everyone is busy.
    Laurie Love the dress from Talbots.
    Oh how well I remember the RSVP(S), amazing how slow some are to reply.
    Looking forward to seeing your finished outfit..

Hallngarden isn't it an amazing experience going through the clothing and shoes that you have only worn once or twice.

Hope you all have a nice weekend....

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, the wedding is fast approaching (26 days to go)! As promised, I have pictures to show you all. It's strange how the pictures of the dress/jacket material looks so much darker in the house with the flash. Dh took these pics outdoors with natural lighting.

Not sure how much of the time I'll be wearing the jacket at the wedding. Both ceremony and reception are indoors. I think for most of the reception, I'll not be wearing the jacket. My favorite parts of the outfit are the little silver/rhinestones accents at : the jacket wrist, the shoes (they are silver), clutch, and the earrings. The earrings are special because they were my mother's. Just costume jewelry, but vintage looking and sentimental to me. They were originally the screw back type, but I took them in to a shop and had them converted for pierced ears. I feel no need to wear a necklace. That may be too much for me.

I had fun with the clutch. Thanks to Patti for the pattern. I used the smaller pattern for a 9-1/2" clutch. I used a satin silver ribbon to cover the thin piping. I realized, later, that I should have used silver fabric and cut it on the bias for that. It would have "turned the corners" a little better. Oh well, I still like it. I used a magnetic snap and it works well. The silver sparkly button is just tacked to the front for looks. The clutch is lined with the same lining fabric as the dress. In the pics, it just looks like cotton, but in person, it looks much better.
    The silver shoes have some sequines & rhinestones. They have a 1-1/2" heel and are very comfortable.

I can not thank all of you wonderful sewing angels enough for your information, suggestions, detailed instructions, your genuine concern and encouragement! This dress and jacket belongs to all of you just as much as for me! When I am at the wedding, a part of you will be with me : )

-Laurie

My skirt hem is bent up a little here (ignore it)

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Stunning, Laurie! Congratulations. Your accessories are just perfect. Enjoy these last few weeks until the wedding, and savor every moment of the big day. This has been a great pleasure for me.

Sherry

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Good going Laurie!!!

The jacket fits very well and the whole outfit is wonderful. Your purse,shoes and earrings are just the best finishing touches. I agree you need no more jewelry than your beautiful antique earrings, anything more would be too much. As it is now is perfect.

Enjoy the wedding--it is a special time.

• pris
    14 years ago

I can see you now, being escorted down the aisle and seated as the Mother of the Bride. Beautiful! You can be really proud of the job you've done. Enjoy.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Laurie, you brought a tear to my eye remembering our daughters wedding. Your dress and accessories are beautiful. Laurie, thank you so much for allowing us to watch this process of everything coming together. I also have my outfits together for the reunion. Daughter went to Ann Taylor this weekend while I was out of town and bought me three beautiful outfits that fit me perfect. Only thing left for me to get are the shoes. Laurie, after your wedding is over, want to talk to you about a featherweight. Had a delightful surprise in our garage this weekend. We drove back home to our original home for the weekend. I just happened to be rambling around in the garage. Found a cabinet with a black sewing machine that that gold emblems on the front and back, also a silver plate on the side plate. Gold marking are on the machine in different areas. I did look at the numbers on the back that we near the light. Didn't have much time, so I didn't get the numbers off the machine. We go back in two weeks and will get more info off the machine. I found this machine on the street several years back and had forgotten about it. When your activities are over we will figure out if this is a featherweight. Don't let me mislead you as to the condition. The electrical parts looks as thought something had been eating on the cords, so it would need some repairs, I really didn't look at the machine when I picked up the wooden cabinet on the street as that is what I was interested in and not the machine. Laurie, you have the most wonderful time at the wedding, and look forward to pictures of the wedding. You are going to be the most beautiful mother of the bride. Go have lots of fun on this very special day, and know daughter is the most beautiful bride.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Laurie,
    It is all beautiful, we are are so proud of you!!!!!! Your Awesome!!!!!!! Hugs Patti

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Laurie, doubt if you are checking this site just days away from your daughters wedding. Just know that we are excited for you after all the hard work. Know everything is going to be perfect. My event with the reunion was last weekend and I have lots of beautiful memories. When you get a chance after the wedding let us know your thoughts. Thinking of you and your family during this happy time.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The wedding was so beautiful and joyous! I am so pleased about the way everything turned out. The bride and groom were beaming with love and happiness. Having all close friends and relatives gathered for this special day was an amazing feeling.

I wore the jacket for the ceremony. At the reception site, I took it off and it stayed on the back of my chair for the evening. I don't have any pictures, yet, with the jacket on. I'll post when I get some.

The wedding ceremony was held in a Catholic Church in San Diego, CA. The reception was at a separate location about 15 minutes away. Dd wore my veil (from my wedding) during the ceremony : )

Hallngarden - so glad to hear your reunion turned out so well. What did you end up wearing? Any pics to share?
    Thank you for your happy thoughts and well wishes : )

Laurie

{{gwi:2064118}}

{{gwi:2064119}}

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Thank you for these photos, Laurie! They're just beautiful. A beautiful bride and her parents - two handsome couples. Congratulations on a job well done.

Sherry

• pris
    14 years ago

Beautiful bride and an equally gorgeous mother of the bride. You absolutely did a professional job. You can certainly be proud.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

Laurie, its hard to find words. Yes, two very beautiful couples. Your gown was beautiful, and you did a wonderful job. There is a lot of love in your gown. Your daughter and her husband are stunning. Sorry I don't have any pictures but ended up with three outfits from Ann Taylor Petite. Didn't need but two but loved all three, Of course, I have already worn the other one that I didn't use for the reunion. My most exciting news was finding the featherweight machine in our garage. I had totally forgotten about picking up the cabinet, only reason I picked it up was for the cabinet. I was just rambling around in our garage back at our other home , and when I opened it, was surprised to see the machine. We won't go back there until June and I will get the numbers off the machine and that way we can figure out if its a featherweight. Its black, with the gold, and a silver plate on the side, I looked back at yours, it looks very close but once I get the numbers we can figure it out. So happy for you and yours, know everything was perfect, and thank you so much for letting us tag along in the excitement of the beautiful wedding.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your kind words and sharing in my hapiness : )
    Dh and I are going on a vacation. I brought a book on basic upholstery. That's going to be my next big project! I hope some of you will have experience in this area. hallengarden- so happy about your featherweight find...what a real treasure!
    You will love it : ) I'll check back in to the forum upon my return.
    Laurie

• nicole__
    14 years ago

WOW! Mother of the bride looked GORGEOUS! Good job!!!

• ruthieg__tx
    10 years ago

What an interesting thread this was and what a testament to what a sewing forum should look and feel like....

Congrats on your beautiful dress and jacket...

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

This has been an amazing set of threads. I wish I could see those last two pictures Laurie posted. The dress and jacket are gorgeous and I am so impressed that you did this and put so much time into the practice parts so the finished dress was perfect. I hope after all that that you did get to wear it again.

• jayhawker
    9 years ago

I had more fun reading this thread. I too love to sew and continue to run into adjustment challenges. Congrats on your beautiful project.