Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjislander

Serger Suggestions

sjislander
12 years ago

I would love to get recommendations from seasoned serger users, for a good all round machine. I think I'd like one with a coverstitch, but would like to know if it is a feature worth paying for.

I have used an industrial serger but have never owned one nor used a home quality one.

I thought I posted this same thing yesterday but it isn't showing up. If I am doing this all wrong please advise.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• new-beginning
    12 years ago

what is your budget?

• lizzie2
    12 years ago

I have a normal serger and one that does the coverstitch. It is my fault for I did not spend the time learning to change the serger from normal stitches to coverstitch so I just let that serger sit up for that particular stitch. No matter what serger you buy, take the time to learn to thread the machine for each stitch many, many times before you start to use it. The man that sold me the original serger had me rethread it probably 20 times before I left the store so I would know how to do it. I do not have a problem threading that machine at all. One day I need to set down and just thread it like that again. I really do not use the machine that much. I like the look of a double needle or two rows of topstitching on a normal machine.

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

I have the BabyLock Imagine Wave serger and just love it. It is easy to thread with the jet air system. My machine has a big laminated "cheat sheet" that shows all the settings for whichever stitch you want....4 thread overlock, 3 thread flatlock seaming, 2 thread blanket stitch, etc. It not only has the dial settings but a diagram of where to place your thread spools and run the thread. It does not have a coverstitch and I am not sure what the use of a coverstitch is, I don't miss it.
    I found mine on craigslist for a song. Best bargain I ever made!
    I would go to the websites of some manufacturers and check out what is available. new-beginning is right, consider your budget, the price range of all machines is very wide.

• melissa_tn
    12 years ago

i have an older janome, a 11000 dx and its just fine. you may also want to check out the brother serger. you will need to test drive them, Bring your own fabrics.

• donnar57
    12 years ago

Just be careful with really old machines. For some, you cannot get the parts to them any more. Before buying an older machine, call a competent repair man and ask. A friend of mine just parted with $300 on a used machine and now it needs parts that are no longer available.

Also, don't waste your money on a machine at CostCo or similar, if they still sell machines there. Get one from a good shop, even if it's a used one, because normally the sewing shop will teach you how to thread it (see above).

I had a "Price Club special" Singer for several years. It was in the shop more than it was out of the shop, as it was always going out of whack. When my aunt passed on, my cousin passed her serger to my mom who gave it to me. It's a Baby Lock Eclipse. It has the jet-air threading system, which works wonderfully (unless, of course, the machine needs cleaning).

Donna

• sjislander
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I don't have a set budget but would be willing to pay for a decent machine because I intend to only buy one in my lifetime.

Sounds like BabyLocks are a good place to start.

Does anybody use the coverstitch? Just seems like it would come in handy now and then.

Again, thanks.