Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Willcox Gibbs serger

Posted by carilynn (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 08 at 21:33

Does anyone have a copy of instructions on how to thread a Willcox Gibbs serger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Willcox Gibbs serger

I need more information. I have a 5 thread, Willcox&Gibbs overlock machine, but you have to give me the model # before I'll know if I can help you out, or not!

o

It is a 5 thread, but I don't know the model number. It is for my husband's 80 year old aunt. I would really appreciate if you could make a copy of your threading instructions and send it to me. My name and address is Cari Cochran, 5604 Lakeview, Ennis, TX 75119. Thanks, Cari

o

Carilyn

Notify the powers that be and ask them to remove your last post.You should never post your personal information to message boards,ie,your snail mail address.
Kathi

o

Yes! remove that info. ASAP!

My machine is a Willcox&Gibbs 500-4, type 515-4-51. It was originally a 4 thread, but I had it converted to 5. It dates from the early '80s.

You will find the model number on the lower right side of your machine, just above the window that shows you the oil level in the head. Does your machine look like this one?
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

If is does, there should be a threading diagram inside the door that allows access to the loopers. Sometimes they fall off over time. Let me know what you find out about your machine.

o

I have a Willcox and Gibbs serger 5 thread serger type 500/IV/31. The threading instructions are missing from inside the front door.

Can anyone give me threading instructions? Thanks.

o

check out the smithsonian's website. i found an old instruction manual online which helped my family friend thread her 3 thread superlock machine. maybe they have other manuals.
Please help. Can anyone tell me how to oil a willcox gibbs serger?

o

If it's an industrial model and unless it's pretty old (45-50 yrs.+) it's probably self-oiling. Meaning it has an oil reservoir and operating the machine pumps oil in and around the mechanisms that require constant lubrication.

o

Thank you! yes industrial and old - a superlock model that's very likely as old as 50+ years. There's a round sight gauge and no oil visible.

Any idea on how to oil this one? From the Smithsonian manual: "No hand oiling is necessary. It is only necessary to maintain the proper level of oil in Base. With the machine idle, the oil level should be just high enough to cover the Filter Screen. Due to the high speed of this machine, it is important to use high grade oil...."

Anyone know how to add the oil? previously couldn't find an opening and manual didn't say how.

o

let me try again and thank you in advance:
Does anybody know how to add oil in the base of a Willcox Gibbs Superlock serger, which doesn't need the usual hand oiling?

o

My W&G has a knob thingy on the top of the machine that you screw off and allows you to pour the oil in. Check to see if the site hole cover is removeable, it may be.

That failing, I'd get out the screw driver and remove the top part of the machine head. Look carefully and you'll probably find a tube set up that leads to the bowels of the machine... trace it back to the top.

If your machine is 50 yrs. old there is no way it is factory sealed and "maintenance free"! Some detective work is in order.

o

Thank you chelone for your assistance. looks like a little trial and error is ahead of me.
thank you really and truly a lot.

o

I'm looking for anybody who might know anything about threading a 3 thread Willcox & Gibbs serger. It's SUPER old and here is all the info I have on it.

Type: 813C1
Model 2-0
Serial: M.18337348

Thank you in advance!

o

Does anyone have a copy of instructions on how to thread a Willcox Gibbs 516-426 serger?

o

I have a Willcox Gibbs 516-4-38 serger. model: cs4004-6 400w 4pl. i forgot how to set it so i can do the ruffle. I have still have the ruffler part.
Can anybody help me with this?
Thanks

o

I have a W & G overlock machine 516-4-26 that I cannot seem to find a manual for. I would like to be able to thread it and use it. can anyone help me?

o

I will be getting W&G 504A tomorrow. Can anyone help me find info on it? I have no idea how old it is, how to thread it etc. Thanks so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here