Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Is this possible?

barb_roselover_in
10 years ago

It's getting to where I am between a rock and a hard place. Since JoAnns moved out of town an d Walmart has next to nothing for sewing in their store ( I could not even get a pin cushion), I am really having a hard time with this. No way can I drive out of town. Anyway, I have a favorite jacket which I would like to make a pattern from. Is this possibe and what kind of paper could I see through to use a marker and make one? Patterns not available--none that I want. Mostly only the craft ones.

Also, they don't even have shoulder pads. Could I make my own? I have a separated shoulder and need something. Thanks whenever somebody answers. Barb

Comments (8)

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

You could use newsprint; is there a newspaper near you that prints their own paper, so you can get it before it gets ink on it?

You can make the pattern without a marker--lots of the directions I've found online have you using a pin to make holes in the paper.

http://voices.yahoo.com/diy-sewing-pattern-existing-851905.html?cat=24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHqMZEx968

This lady used wax paper; you can use parchment.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAt0FOwxlQg

I've used tissue paper from the gift-wrap section (though it tears easily). It's only a little thinner than regular pattern tissue.

Good luck!

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope somebody answers this as I want to get this done. When you copy the pattern, how do you take care of the darts without tearing it apart? Please. Barb

• ruthieg__tx
    10 years ago

Barb, If you can lay out your jacket, you can probably tell how much is allowed for the dart other than that. you might just have to guess or if the fit is loose enough, just leave the dart off...If you have say a blouse pattern with a dart, estimate..

For making patterns, I use an old bedsheet or a piece of fabric that I have bought for the purpose of trying a pattern for fit. Generally this fabric is referred to as muslin or for making a muslin but it can be any kind of inexpensive fabric...The Wal-mart $1 table is where alot of mine came from....... It's easier to work with than paper...but any kind of paper you have including gift wrap will work...I have used freezer paper many times...You will be doing a lot of feeling to make the pattern along with using your eyes to sight the lines. I don't really like newspaper but sometimes you have no choice...buy yourself a roll of brown wrapping paper at the store and use that...what ever you have locally and can get your hands on will work just fine...

I don't see why you couldn't make your own shoulder pads..should be easy....don't forget though that there are online resources for ordering anything you need.

Good luck with your jacket...

• donnar57
    10 years ago

I've successfully copied patterns using sew-on interfacing, which would be available online. It's very durable! Tissue paper is great if you only want a pattern to use once (such as on a growing child). But it tears very easily.

Donna

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I've used the blank paper from the newspaper here in town,also have used waxed paper,parchment,and press and sea,with a pen or sharpie.,you can also go on Line to cutrate crafts and order some cheap interfacing,i like that very much as you can fold and unfold it many times with n o problems.Hope you find something that works for you.
    Kathi

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathi, what is press and sea with a pen or sharpie. Is cutrate crafts a company, website or what? Thanks Barb

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Barb, Press & Seal is found in the grocery store with the plastic wrap. It has a sticky side which you can use several times. I use it to trace quilting motifs then stick it in position on the quilt top and stitch through it.

You can use a ball point pen or Sharpie to trace your design on the Press & Seal.

Donna

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Donna. You are a lifesaver with this good tip. Because of our bad weather (school out again today),my son is doing my grocery shopping for me, but when I can hit the road again, I will shop for this. Barb

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!