Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wiccadwitch

national /Eldredge model 970

wiccadwitch
15 years ago

Okay I got this machine the other day. It is a National Eldredge model 970. The color is mint green and it has two large cog like dials on it. One of them on the upper center area of the machine is a built in buttonholer.

I cannot find any info on this guy. It is definately an older all metal model. I wanted to find a manual for it but cant find squat anywhere.

I have figured out the buttonholer after playing with it a bit and the machine sews very well but would like to know more about this thing.

I hope there is someone here that can help!

Comments (13)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Please post pictures! I collect machines made by the National Sewing Machine Company and am considered something of an expert on the company.
    I've never heard of this model.

Annie

• wiccadwitch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will try to get some pictures uploaded today after work.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Great! I can't wait to see it!

Annie

• wiccadwitch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay how do I add pictures to a post?

• wiccadwitch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay linking to the pictures on photobucket since i have no idea how to add pictures directly into the post.
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/wiccadwitch/PICT0116.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/wiccadwitch/PICT0118.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/wiccadwitch/PICT0115.jpg

Okay so the one is showing the model number but there is a bit of a glare.
    shes a pretty machine for sure.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

This will work, but next time, just go down to the "HTML" line below the picture, a little box that says "copied" should pop up. Then go to the message box, click on "paste" in your editing tool and you should see a big bunch of computerese in your message. When you hit "preview message" you should see the picture(s.)

Ok, on to the machine--this is really cool to me as a National collector because this is a Japanese-made machine that would have been imported and then badged with the National/Eldredge name. I have a friend in England who is doing extensive research on the company and I know this is going to blow her mind! I'm going to forward the links to the pictures to her and see what she thinks.

Annie

• wiccadwitch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah I had been kinda intrigued by the fact that it was made in japan.
    I had commented to my husband that it is the only vintage machine in the house that wasnt made in the US.
    I cant wait to hear what your friend says. Kinda excited about my little find.We have been calling it "the mystery machine" here around the house because of how little info I have been able to find on it.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Ok, here's the deal--no one's ever seen one before. Would you be willing to look underneath for any identifying features. What we're really looking for would be a JA or JC, or other letters, which would give us an idea of who made it. Next question, would you be willing to e-mail some pictures and put them on the Needlebar website? The Needlebar is probably the most intensive/extensive sewing machine research site there is right now. Claire, who is doing the grunt work on National research, is VERY interested in this machine because we had no idea that the name was used as late as this machine appears to be.

Annie

• wiccadwitch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay I will look underneath and try to take pictures of anything significant. I could definately email pictures as well as put them up on needlebar. Let me know regarding email addresses.

I had no idea when I bought this machine it would turn out to be such an oddity.

I know what you mean about it being a later time frame than national. That was something I noticed right away when I started trying to research this machine was that I could not find any national machines past early 50's or so. This machine is abviously early 60's.

I have to say I love the thing and my sister fondles it every tme she comes over. We both sew and we both own singer 500A's so our taste in machines is pretty similar to say the least.

Okay off to get some more pictures of the mystery machine. I will do the best I can and will answer any questions about the machine to the best of my ability. I want to know about this guy too and all this is definately piquing my interest even further!

• wiccadwitch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I registered at needlebar so now I am just waiting to be confirmed so I can log in. In the meantime I can tell you that I found a small round decal like thing next to the model number plate with the letters "LA" on it. There are also two sets of number/letter combos on the underside of the base. One is literally a raised printing like the base was cast with the numbers as part of the mold and that is J-C2. The second is on the back edge of the bottom and the letters are gold very small lettering and those are J-A6. Then on the neck is a little oval decal with UL(united laboratories) on it. That decal also has some small print around the edge of it. Maybe who tested the machine? Anyway thats everything of that sort I could find. I will double check to make sure I did not miss anything.

Do let me know if that sheds any light!

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I would like some pictures--just the main shots that you posted originally would be fine. I'm researching the National models and while this isn't a factory model--it's interesting because of the badge name. My e-mail address is:

toomanydogs@chibardun.net

Also, there is a yahoo group for collectors of Nationals, too, if you are interested. Just do a search for National Sewing Machine Company or nsmco

Annie

• wiccadwitch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wanted to add that I had realised I mispoke in my above post. UL is not united laboratories its Underwriters Laboratories! Sorry about that.
    I can pop thos epics as well as a few more I took into that email for you. All of these should be up on the needlebar site soon!

• Erik Linker
    7 years ago

I looked on needlebar but did not see this 970 listed.

i have one also. Neat sturdy little machine.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022