Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

Disney costume patterns

donnar57
10 years ago

We just wrapped up one show in my MS class -- Treasure Island -- which was really easy to costume. Pirates and townspeople -- piece of cake. Toughest was Long John Silver's wooden leg.

The students chose Beauty and the Beast Jr. as their next show, in May. For them, that's a great choice. (It was one of 4 larger shows that I listed that they could do.) Now we have to start thinking about casting and then costuming it. Here's where I'd like to pick your brains!

I looked into ready-made Belle ball gowns and Beast costumes. Ugh, starting at $125??? I have a couple of moms willing to sew, and I am always willing to "chip" in and sew as well. Nice and relaxing after a day at work! So, what company has the Disney contract, Simplicity, McCalls or Butterick? I can probably find this out on my own, so no problem there.

I have ideas for Cogsworth, Lumiere, and Wardrobe. But I'm a little stuck for costuming ideas for Mrs. Potts and Chip. Any ideas? This has to be "on the cheap".

All ideas cheerfully accepted!

Donna

Comments (4)

• cloybaby
    10 years ago

We just recently did beauty and the beast on the cheap at our local elementary school. Currently disney has a contract with simplicity and the costume for belle is pretty good but I had trouble finding the beast costume. I ended up just using the turn of the century boys pattern in apropriate colors for beasts outfit. For mrs.potts I got lucky and found and inflatable costume for the Cool-ade guy at a yard sale and simply covered it in fabric to match her "dress". For chip we had a girl who's mom makes piñatas and she did a paper mâché pair of overalls for the actor. We also picked a really small boy to play that part so the costume looked much bigger. I hope this helps I also found a fabric by the pound store about ten miles from my house that made everything cheaper and I bought my patters through ebay and Pinterest. Always remember that Joann's excepts coupons from hancock fabrics, hobby lobby and micheals and you can use four coupons at a time. Good luck and have fun.

• donnar57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Change of show -- found out that another local group just got the contract to do B&tB, so we switched to Willy Wonka Jr. Lots easier to costume, that's for sure! The purple jacket is one I wouldn't mind trying my hand in sewing!

Donna

• donnar57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since switching to Willy Wonka Jr, I'm so relieved. As I said above, MUCH easier to costume! Getting the Directors' Guide, they have updated Mike Teavee to be not only a TV-addict, but also addicted to video games. Violet and Veruca can be updated a bit, too, which will make costuming more fun.

I thought about dressing Mike Teavee like Super Mario -- you know, the blue overalls, red shirt, red hat. Looking through the "big 3" patterns, there's no overalls pattern????? Buying the costume at least isn't "Super Expensive" (no pun intended), but it would still be plenty cheap to buy if I can use fabric that's in my stash. The pattern is the hard part: suggestions?

Does anyone know a source for 108" wide muslin that's cheaper than $8 a yard? We need 20 yards to make the backdrop. King-sized white sheets are about as expensive, or so they seem....

Donna

• cloybaby
    10 years ago

My local Walmart had 120" muslin for 6 dollars it was next to the canvas and the interfacing.

This post was edited by cloybaby on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 10:34

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!