Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Needle size question, subtitle: is sewing a contact sport?

dee_can1
14 years ago

IÂm a little confused on the proper size of needle to use for certain fabrics. IÂve been under the impression that size 14 needles were the way to go for cottons. So, I ordered a bunch of size 14Âs from Sears, and got them today, but on the package it says they are for Âwovens and knitsÂ.

Also, I had a little accident on Sunday. I was sewing oven mitts, and at the top where the bias tape had to be sewed at the seams, the material was pretty thick and therefore ÂhardÂ, so as I was sewing through the seam, my size 14 needle broke. This was the 2nd needle I had broken on the weekend. It sent splinters of metal flying, and one went flying into my eye. I ended up calling the emergency number for an opthalmologist yesterday, didnÂt hear back from them until 4 pm : /, but in the meantime had gotten in to see an optometrist. Luckily, he couldnÂt see any metal fragments in my eye, although my eye sure did hurt. I do have abrasion on my eye, though, but itÂs now feeling better. Close call, though. And will now make sure IÂm wearing my glasses when I sew, or safety glasses if IÂm worried about needle breakage.

Anyway, long-story short (well, shorter), after that incident, I changed the size 14 needle to a Âjeans needle, and IÂm having success with that. So, could you experienced sewers tell me what size of needles IÂm supposed to be using for certain fabrics? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• izzie
    14 years ago

If you are sewing on something really thick heavy you need a more heavy duty needle or it will break. Also sew slowly on heavy material. I made a slip cover out of denim and had to slowly hand crank it through the multiple layer spots. I also have been told the needles for knit fabric have a ball point on them as opposed to to having a sharp point for woven fabric. I found a site that covers some machine needle questions.

Sorry about your eye, I hope your better. I've broken numerous needles just they way you did when not being careful.

Here is a link that might be useful: needles

• noinwi
    14 years ago

What Izzie said! Use the bigguns for thick fabric and go slow! I often have to hand crank through thick seams, too. Does your machine have a speed control? Even after all these years I go slow unless I'm doing long straight seams. Trying to force a needle through thick seams repeatedly can and will bend/break needles, and could possibly bend machine parts or push them out of adjustment(they're just not made like they used to be)...could this be why your threader is off kilter? Also, it might help you to research fabrics a bit. There are some textile/fabric glossaries online that give info on what different ones are typically used for. Cotton is what the fabric is made of...it can be a knit or a woven and can be heavy or light fabric.
    Does your needle package have both regular and ballpoint needles in it? Do the needles have different colored bands on them? It seems(to me,anyway)unusual to have one needle for both knits and wovens. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: just one fabric glossary

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Cotton is a woven material,

The general rule of thumb is the finer the material is the lower the number on the needle.

Size 14 is used for cottons and medium weights of material. It is the one most people use the most often, but if you are sewing through several layers of cotton you want a larger size needle.

As the numbers go up the needles are thicker and stronger, so they are not as likely to bend forward and hit the needle plate and bend or break.

In addition if you are sewing something thick you always go slow. You run the danger of not only shattering your needle but doing damage to the machine by forcing the machine.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, I realize now that I should have sewed more slowly. Thanks for the advice and the link, Izzie, IÂll check it out. And I'll slow down. : )

Noinwi, no my machine doesnÂt have speed control  well, except for my foot on the foot pedal. : ) I donÂt think this is why my threader is off kilter, though, because I really havenÂt used the machine much up until now. By the way, the threader works fine with the Âjeans needle (I found this out when I switched over), and it also works fine with the new Kenmore needles. So, maybe there is a slight difference in the generic needles that I bought previously. IÂll check out your site on fabrics, too  thanks. No, the needles donÂt have coloured-bands on them  theyÂre all size 90/14 Sharps. Which is odd since they are for both "woven fabrics and knits", according to the label. I have been told before that for knits you should use ballpoint needles, so even I find it strange.

Oilpainter, yeah, I thought after I posted that cottons must be wovens. Thanks for the tips on how to determine what needle to use. It is a lot of common sense, isn't it? : )

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 years ago

Hi - I'm guessing the 'for wovens & knits' means that your needles are 'universal'? That is, tho ball point needles are used for knits, those needles may be used instead of ball-points.

FWIW, Singer needle packages often carry the recommended fabric weights for ea. needle size...

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer needle reference - scroll down for needle sizes

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner