Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kparsley_gw

Altering Patterns for Maternity

kparsley
18 years ago

Hello everyone,

Looking for help and hoping someone can offer some advice. I am pregnant with my first child and would like to make some of my maternity clothes. Does anyone know how to alter a standard pattern to make it maternity friendly? I have a ton of patterns and figured if I can save some money by altering what I have it would be great. I have experience with altering the length (33" inseam) but don't know how much to alter for maternity. Should I make it a couple of sizes larger and add to the waist and hips? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Kim

Comments (8)

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

From someone who hates alterations,i'd say wait for the pattern sales at Joann's for .99 cents.I'd rather make something from scratch than to have to alter something.But that's just me.Good luck.
    Kathi

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

I'd buy the pattern too for a couple of dollars.

Back when I was having mine our options were few. Most of them were the skirts and tops. The skirts had a big hole for your tummy and tied under the shirt.

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Kim -
    Buy a couple of maternity patterns, the kind with ... the changes that you need are extensive, and it's not easy to just "make it a couple sizes larger".

It only takes one screw-up for the wasted fabric to cost more than the $.99 Joann's patterns.

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Also check your thrift shops for patterns.If you have a DAV(disabled american veterans) thrift shop they always have patterns,and for as little as .65 cents,some of which have never been used.
    Kathi

• grammyp
    18 years ago

What size would you need? I believe I have some from my daughter I will gladly send you. We won't be needing them anytime soon and they don't get much at yard sales. You are most welcome to them. Send me an e-mail with your address and I will send them to you.

beverly

• theturtlelady
    15 years ago

You can buy what's called a maternity panel. It's a stretchy thing that comes with instructions on how to sew it into your pants and I'm sure it would work as well for skirts. You could trace it onto the patterns you already have and then just work it in. You can even just sew it into the clothes you already have and would probably only have to buy the one - once you had the idea, you could use it as a pattern and substitute suitable fabric.

Tops are less easy as the size will change during the pregnancy, but you could try the empire seam below the bust with a soft fabric and a bunch of gathering so the blouse can grow with you.

• izzie
    15 years ago

If you do alterations to regular patterns, make tops longer in front. I made a mix and match tops and bottoms out of double knit using a maternity pattern that had all pieces in one pattern. Four different tops and three bottoms I left the waist band open so I could adjust the elastic. Towards the end though the elastic bothered me. The only thing I wanted to wear was a "oamar the tent maker" denim "dress" (Sleveless, I think called a tunic?) that I could wear my "regular" shirts under. I think everyone got sick of seeing me wear but I really didn't care anymore as long as it was comfortable....Invest in a belly support thing you can buy at a maternity shop...really was worth the price.

• birdtalker
    15 years ago

One thing I did on my last pregnancy was to use the slacks I usually wore but put a loop of elastic in the button hole and looped that over the button for do it yourself maternity pants. I also had a smock type pattern for a top that I made and cut off at the hip level for a maternity top. It worked for me. You might also try a pattern of a loose jumper adding extra material in the center front as if you are making a tent. Then you can wear any top you want under neath without buttoning or something to that effect.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz