Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies

lsst
9 years ago

I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot bottom border of a coordinating fabric.
I will be adding a lipped cording horizontally between the two fabrics.
I know how to add a lipped cord to pillows where you join the two ends.
I have done a search and can not find how you secure the ends when they do not join back together. The cord will end at where each return ends.
I will be adding an interlining.
Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't know, but if I were doing it, I'd just drop it down into the seam and sew across the end and trim off the excess....it will be on the backside anyway...

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

Honestly, I'd reconsider the twist cord. It would be much easier to make your own and use that.

This post was edited by shadylady2u on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 13:05

• lsst
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks AnnieDeighnaugh and shadylady2u,

I forgot to mention that it is not covered fabric cord but a decorative twisted lipped cord.
    It would be so much easier if it were fabric covered cording.

Last night I did sew the cording onto one panel and left
    about 2 inches of cording on each side so that when I go to finish the ends, I would have plenty left in case of a mistake.

I just want to make sure that the cording sits flat so that I can work with the linings and not have the thickness of the cording interfere with sewing the linings.

Taking both of your suggestions, I wonder if I could stitch across the cording about 5/8 of an inch into the edge of the panel to keep it from unraveling. I could then cut, unravel and flatten the strands so that I can stitch smoothly over it . The flat unraveled end would then be hidden between the panel and lining.

Sewing cording into pillows is so much easier LOL.

This post was edited by lsst on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 12:40

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

I was thinking about this, and I think the best way will probably be to cut the cord end even with the panel end and hot glue the ends as best you can. Have the glue ready and hold the cord ends together so it doesn't start unraveling.
    If you were to fold the ends under, I think there would be too much bulk.

• lsst
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shadylady2u,

Thanks! I will have the hot glue gun ready.

• kathyg_in_mi
    9 years ago

What about using Fray Block? I would use it as it is invisible and you could saturate the end of the trim, let dry and then cut. Be sure to do a test run with whatever way you choose.
    Kathy G in MI

• kathyg_in_mi
    9 years ago

What about using Fray Block? I would use it as it is invisible and you could saturate the end of the trim, let dry and then cut. Be sure to do a test run with whatever way you choose.
    Kathy G in MI

• lsst
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kathyg_in_mi,

I thought about that. I wonder if it may stain the fabric.
    The top of the panel is linen and the border is silk.

I have to make 6 panels. I am into sewing the cording onto panel 3 . I definitely will do a test run to see if the hot glue or the Fray Block will leave a mark.

Thanks!

• kathyg_in_mi
    9 years ago

I've never had it stain or leave a mark. That said, you are right to do tests.
    happy sewing, kathy g in mi

• Terri Thompson
    9 years ago

Just used it on a princess dress no staining