Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to mark seam allowance/cutting line on Burda patterns?

Posted by talley_sue_nyc (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 17:56

I'm sewing a skirt with a friend, and she picked a Burda Magazine pattern, which doesn't have seam allowances marked.

We'll have to draw our own.

Anybody got any suggestions for how to do this accurately and *quickly*?

My mother once had a plastic H-shaped tool; you slipped a pencil into the slot in the center, and then used one of the four legs (each at a different distance from the center) to guide your line as you drew. Has anybody seen anything like that? I can't find it--either in stores or online.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to mark seam allowance/cutting line on Burda patterns?

I've always just done it by hand. It's easy (for me anyway) to follow along 1/4-1/2" from the line. You can also give yourself deeper SA's if you like in areas you question the fit of.

The hard part is following the line itself, when it's nested w/a lot of other pattern pieces, it's difficult for me to follow the right color sometimes.

Burda has such a good sloper, esp. in slacks. One of my fav. skirts is a Burda pattern, too. Good luck, hope your friend's skirt comes out nice!

The link has some great tips that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: patternreview.com thread on Burda

o

I have a sewing gauge and one end is exactly 5/8" wide which can be just laid down next to the pattern piece and use it to mark a dashed line where you want to cut.

o

Thanks, Annie--I'l have to look at my sewing gauge more closely!

o

Most measuring tapes are also 5/8" wide as well.

o

Rosefolly, I didn't know that! I'm going to check mine all tonight!

o

Look what I found! It's a little magnet marker that you stick onto your scissors. And then you align the black ring with the sewing line, and cut.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nancy's Notions is the only place I've found them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seam Allowance Guide at Nancy's Notions.

o

And Clover makes a double tracing wheel--
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Tracing Wheel

o
another double-tracing wheel

There's also a Traum Tracing Wheel--vintage, so you'd have to get it on eBay or somewhere like that.
http://sewcraftful.com/tools/10giftideassewer/

Here is a link that might be useful: a list of gadgets--pic of the Traum Tracing Wheel among them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here