Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Problem with needle threader

dee_can1
14 years ago

Or maybe it's something I'm doing wrong... IÂm having a problem with the needle threader on my fairly new machine. When I thread the machine, I guide the thread behind the thread guide and then follow the manualÂs instruction to use the needle threader. It used to work all the time. Now it doesnÂt work because the little hook that guides the thread through the needle hole is too far over to the right side of the needle and misses the hole altogether. Some times I notice the hook hits the needle when I'm putting the threader in position.

I canÂt figure out if itÂs something IÂm doing wrong (I donÂt think it is), or if there is a problem with the threader (like why is the hook totally missing the hole?). I'm having to thread manually. IÂve tried the needle in different positions by changing the thread patterns (the needle is in correctly - flat side to the back/all the way up), but it doesnÂt work because the needle threader stays the same distance away from the needle no matter what pattern I choose.

I donÂt think the hook is bent or anything  it looks fine  just too far away from the hole. I drew a pic describing the problem, and how the hook doesn't bring the thread to the hole, but *beside and past* the needle  hopefully it makes sense. Any ideas?

Thanks, Dee

Comments (6)

• noinwi
    14 years ago

Sounds like either the threader or your needle is off-center. Can you open the housing(where it opens so you can change the bulb)and check to see if there's lint or something keeping the needle from being completely centered? Move your needle position back and forth(as if you were changing the stitch)and see if it is off a bit. Check to see if the threader has loosened a bit. If the needle is off too much, you wouldn't be able to sew. Change your needle plate to a straight stitch(single hole)and (slowly) bring your needle down to see if your needle is off-center. Maybe your needle is slightly bent...try another one and re-check. Not sure what to do if it can't be remedied at home, other than take it in and have it checked. I know that's a pain, but depending on how new it is and what brand it is, you may just have to.HTH

• noinwi
    14 years ago

Sorry, another thing just occurred to me...if you've been using a stitch other than straight, you may just need to have your needle in straight stitch mode to use the threader.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll open up the housing tomorrow when I'm more alert, and see if there's anything going on in there. I did try moving the needle to different positions (by changing the thread pattern number), and then back to straight stitch mode, and it didn't work. So, tonight, I turned the knob to reset and then back to straight stitch again, and it did work this time, but I felt the hook hitting the needle. It's sort of hit and miss.

I don't think the needles are bent, either, because I've tried using several different needles (all new) and the threader hook still doesn't align with the needle hole.

If it keeps up, I have a feeling I should bring it in to Sears to have them look at it, but I'm going to wait until the 'off season' for sewing (ie. when it's summer). : )

Thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated.

• barb_roselover_in
    14 years ago

Dee Can - can sympathize with you because that is exactly what happened to me with my Kenmore Embroidery machine. You have to stand on your head to change the needle and thread the needle. Mine worked at first also. Don't know if I would purchase another one like this or not. It was not cheap either, plus I never got lessons on how to use it because they did not have a class available. - Barb

• noinwi
    14 years ago

Have you checked to see if your wire hook is bent? I got that suggestion from a google. :D

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barb, sorry to hear about the threader on your embroidery machine. My sewing machine happens to be a Kenmore, also. Not to say this is only a problem with Kenmore, I bet.

"You have to stand on your head to change the needle and thread the needle."

Ah, so that's what I've been doing wrong - I haven't tried standing on my head yet. : D I'll probably give that a try next at this rate... lol ; )

noinwi, I don't 'think' the hook is bent. I thought of that, too. I don't know - it's a mystery. It works about 10% of the time now.