Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help needed to enlarge pattern...

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 17:28

Would it be possible to make this dress pattern a larger size and how would I go about doing it? I'm a fairly experience sewing hobbyist, BTW. I loved this dress and would like to try making it again...only larger....of course.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help needed to enlarge pattern...

Don't know how much larger you need it,but it looks like a very simple pattern.Just looking at it ,it looks like all you have to do is add the same amount to each seam to get the size you need. Maybe someone here has it in a larger size as well.
Kathi

o

Adding just at the seams only takes you so far. I know multiple-size patterns look as if they are different only at the seam lines, but that's not really the case.

To size up, you'll need more "room" over the chest and the back, not just at the sides.

Here's a tutorial about sizing patterns both up a size or down a size.

CMC

Here is a link that might be useful: Resizing patterns, Sense and Sensibility web site

o

Thanks for both replies! I don't know why I didn't think about going to S&S's web site. I did think about emailing Jennie herself - LOL!

I surfed the web for a larger pattern but only found the smaller size for sale and I've already got that one. I think I will take my measurements *groan* and make the dress in a cheaper fabric before I order linen for it. I will only have to adjust 3 pattern pieces - front, back and sleeve, then add a bit to the facing and the hem.

I appreciate the help!
Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here