Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-stuff a down vest?

Posted by jmmcd3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 16:33

I bought a wonderful down vest from J Crew 8 years ago, and after many years of washing and wearing, it's not looking quite as lovely and fluffy as it once did. (I've always dried it with tennis balls and treated it nicely.)

Question is, can I add more down or replace the down? I've spent an hour searching online for advice on how to do this, and haven't found any info. Anyone tried it? Is it as simple as taking out seams, filling and sewing it back up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-stuff a down vest?

I haven't re-stuffed apparel, but I have re-cased my DH's favorite down pillow. What a mess!!! The down flies everywhere! You try to grab a handful and it shoots out between your fingers! So I don't really have any advice or tips, just a warning, LOL.
You might see if there's a dry cleaners locally that can re-stuff it for you, that's the only thing I can think of. I hope someone will have better info for you.

o
RE: Re-stuff a down vest?

Working with down sucks big time! What is your sanity level? Down will drive you crazy...

You will be finding it for months after you try this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here